Gymnasts How do I prevent/care for rips quicker? (on the bottom of feet)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Mthegymqueen

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
Hello,

Every so often (once every couple months; usually working on turns), the skin on the bottom of my toes will rip open (similar to how they would rip on your hands during bars). But most of the times, it takes weeks or even months to heal back up, and then the cycle repeats over again.

So far, what I do when it happens is put a bandaid when it first rips at practice , then when I get home, get a new bandaid with antibiotic ointment on and trim the skin down if there is any left hanging off. But since I am always moving my feet during practice, the bandaids never last long.

Are there any others ways to help it heal quicker or prevent it all together, or is it better to just keep doing what I am doing? I am on a two week break from my gym (minus a camp I will be going to), so so far, I am just trying to let it heal on its own until the camp

Thank you!

Keep the calluses as flat as possible either cut or sand them down, if you do rip you can use liquid bandage to cover the rip. The antiseptic stuff works great but it's quite painful to put on.

Yea I would say liquid bandaid is best for stuff like that. What I use when I get blisters and stuff from shoes so I imagine it'd work here. Otherwise maybe use tape and gauze? Might hold better. I would use a pumice (think I spelled that right lol) stone to grind down the calluses and that should minimize the tearing. Also when you get home after it tears open get some of like the foaming antiseptic pain free stuff for kids (ik for kids and all but its better cuz it doesn't hurt) to use on it to avoid infection.

Parent of a gymnast here. I have suffered most of my life with painful blisters on my feet; avid hiker. I have found hydrocoloid bandages work amazingly well, Band-Aid brand (Hydro Seal) seems to work the best for me. They protect the damaged skin and seem to speed recovery too. Also, they will stay on for days, even if they get wet.

I love everyone's ideas something to look into that might help is a turning shoe/sock. I could help reduce the friction so you don't get the blisters as often

I love everyone's ideas something to look into that might help is a turning shoe/sock. I could help reduce the friction so you don't get the blisters as often
Yes! When we were first trying this out, I started by wearing a no show sock on floor when we worked turns and this worked amazingly so we bought the half-slipper thing that goes over your toes and attaches around your ankle.

To prevent and care for rips on the bottom of your feet, especially on your toes, consider moisturizing your feet daily to keep the skin flexible and less prone to tearing. Apply a thick balm or petroleum jelly to the affected areas before practice and cover them with athletic tape or toe caps for added protection. During recovery, soak your feet in warm water with Epsom salts to soften the skin and reduce inflammation, then apply a healing ointment and keep the area clean and covered with a breathable bandage. Giving your feet regular rest and ensuring proper foot hygiene can help prevent future rips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back