Parents How do you learn about gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My youngest is getting more involved with gymnastics and starting the training level 4 team. I don't have a clue about the terms, skills, etc. Any good books or guides to help me learn about gymnastics. I don't know what anything is called or what I am looking at when she competes. Falling off I get but beyond that I am clueless! :eek: Gymnastics for dummies?

Em has an American Girl book that has the basic terms in it. :) That helped me. Plus I spend lots of time on the USAG site and read everything I can.

Google gym revolution interactive. You will find a site that shows, and explains, all the USAG compulsory skills. It really helped me with the us system. I wouldgive you the link but I am not on my home pc.

Other than that go to YouTube and you can see the routines as they are competed. Many of us have been known to use terms like a flippy thing off the bars etc!!!! We all learn together.

I have another suggestion for you. Get to know the other team parents at your gym. Does your gym have a booster club? The booster club might be able to answer your questions as you and your DD grow in the sport. Some gyms also have a welcoming committee that can help you learn about how gymnastics works.

Final suggestion: Post your question on this forum. :)

MamaofEnS

Your here right? Just start asking questions. Even if they have been asked thousands of times, people here will gladly answer them again:)
Gymnastics revolution was great for me when dd got started.

Just don't do what I did -
I joined GGMB a long time ago (6 years) when my dd was a L4: I got WAY more info than I ever bargained for:eek:

(I would not suggest that site to new parents.)

Also, my daughters teach me and will tell me they skill they are learning and then describe it to me. I google lots. I also use the technical terms of flippy thing etc. :)

I joined GGMB a long time ago (6 years) when my dd was a L4: I got WAY more info than I ever bargained for:eek:

:D:D:D
Well the good news is that nobody can join GGMB any more, you have to be invited or recommended. It is not the place for beginner gym parents or the faint of heart!

I have been a member there for a long time as well, they certainly know their gym, but they will not be explaining compulsory gym skills to anyone! If you love Elite gym it is a great place for the inside scoop, but as Gymjoy said, it's not for everyone.

Yes GGMB, gym gossip message board, is a gym fan forum. Very different than here. Not a place for proud parents and they are strictly for the 18 and over crowd, with good reason!

Ask, ask and ask some more. There are certainly many in this forum who know this sport inside and out, so ask away. As another poster suggested, ask some parents at the gym. I would seek out parents whose dds have been in the sport for a few years. If nothing else, they may be able to give you lots of tips regarding meets, meet preparation specific to your gym and area. If the gym has a booster club and you can join now(some only let parents join once the girls are competing) that might be a good place to find out alot of information.

Yes, do ask dd about what skills she is doing. Some may be drills to learn the actual skill, but you'll have a better idea of what is going on.

Have a look for Mostepanova Fan on youtube. They have montages of named and code skills all the way from A-G level.

pretty much what everyone else is saying. I learned a lot just from reading this site, and the ones linked.

I also picked up the book "Struggling in the Stands" by Linda McDonald. Her website is Gym Judge Linda

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back