Parents How long after a tonsillectomy...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tooootsie

Proud Parent
Anyone on here have a kiddo go through a tonsillectomy?
And if so, how long before they could practice again?
I am reading online that they can't do sports for 14 days after surgery, that seems like a long time.

Any advise on this would be great!

PS-this is for my 4 y/o DD, she is having her surgery next Friday.

DD friend was out for two weeks. It is very uncomfortable for at least a week then you don't want it to bleed.

I think I will take your advice, thanks! 2 weeks out... hopefully my 4 y/o will be dopey enough not to freak out over no "nastics" as she calls it for 4 practices.

Anyone on here have a kiddo go through a tonsillectomy?
And if so, how long before they could practice again?
I am reading online that they can't do sports for 14 days after surgery, that seems like a long time.

Any advise on this would be great!

PS-this is for my 4 y/o DD, she is having her surgery next Friday.

3 weeks in gymnastics to go upside down. lots of 'blood' and gravity pushing against the throat during movement. no one ever gives it a thought until you actually do a giant or a free hip or round off flip flop at full speed. even a standing tuck back. you really have no idea how often the sternocleidomastoid muscle is used and just how strong its contraction is until you get your tonsils or adenoids out and try something. internal force is incredible.:)

3 weeks in gymnastics to go upside down. lots of 'blood' and gravity pushing against the throat during movement. no one ever gives it a thought until you actually do a giant or a free hip or round off flip flop at full speed. even a standing tuck back. you really have no idea how often the sternocleidomastoid muscle is used and just how strong its contraction is until you get your tonsils or adenoids out and try something. internal force is incredible.:)

LOL but dunno I don't think her 4 year old is doing giants.
Do you think 2 weeks is fine for a little one?

My DD went back after 14 days. After 2nd practice had some slight bleeding and that night had a massive hemorrahge. 2 Arterial bleeds, 3am emergancy surgery, blood loss and the panicked feeling you get when your daughter is massively bleeding from the throat is not worth it. Especially if she is only 4. I would say error on the side of caution because it is not worth it.

The first week she'll feel too bad to want to practice. The next week she'll still be recovering.

Personally, if it were my 4 year old (said as I'm looking at her while writing this), I'd keep her out AT LEAST as long as recommended. She's only 4. It's not as if she's going to fall behind from missing practices.

This 2 week recommendation is from Dr. Google, right? (Who I also visit in a regular basis ;) ) Before stressing about the time off - ask her surgeon how lo g he would recommend - and then follow that precisely! And if your DD still isn't quite herself when that time is up, err on the side of caution.

I hope your DD's surgery goes smoothly and recovery is quick and as painless as possible!!

I think it depends on how the child heals but if it were me, I would definitely wait at least two full weeks then ease her back in. There were 2 girls at DD's gym who had tonsillectomies within a year of each other. One was out 2 weeks then came back without a problem. The other girl was also out 2 weeks, but had some bleeding when she tried to start back. Ended up having to take a little more time off until she stopped bleeding. I'd see what the surgeon suggests as well. Hope all goes smoothly for her! My son had several surgeries around that age and getting him to follow MD directions (resting afterwards, etc) was a real challenge. :D

I'd take the month off for a 4 year old...hemorrhage is always a bigger risk than you would imagine with that procedure...Littlegirlsdream's account is chilling, and much more common than you think.

You'll have to talk to the Dr. and assess your DD at that time. When I had my tonsils out (19yo) it hurt for several weeks, and I wasn't doing any activities. The first week, I was very doped up and rarely left the couch. As I healed, I had massive scabs on the back of my throat that were very uncomfortable. I can't imagine working out with them. Of course, children heal faster than adults, but they also don't have the capability of making informed decisions in this area. You have to be the voice of reason.
She's 4yo, and it's only a few weeks. She'll be fine.

DD (age 12) had it done along with some sinus scraping (ouch). She recovered really well and was wanting to go back after a week...we waited 10 days, she went back and did some light stuff and then back to normal at 2 weeks.

I will ask her dr. as well. I also spoke with some gym moms at our gym whose kiddos have had the procedure and they said 10-14 days for her DD at the same age. I don't think I would take a month off, she would be bouncing off the walls. 2 weeks is a stretch for her. And I will have to try to make up 4 classes... some how with the gym. Thanks for the advice, and the last thing I want is for DD to bleed, that scares the poop out of me. That is why I was picking your brains too.

Thanks! :)

Probably at age 4 the things she does in the gym aren't that much more strenuous than the things she does at home (jumping off and on couches, chairs, beds....) Assuming it's okay with Dr. I would let her back at two weeks to do stretching, walking/ jumping on low beam, but no going upside down, and no swinging on bars or jumping on tramp for another week. Good luck!

My DD (not a gymnast) had hers out around age 5 and we were told to keep her quiet for about a week. She was back to regular, not even rowdy, activity a week after surgery. She had a bleed which required a mighty scary trip to the ER and ended up losing enough blood that they had to give her some. Not to be all dramatic, but I'd err on the side of caution. Every child is different and yours might heal faster, but I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through the scare we had.

Probably at age 4 the things she does in the gym aren't that much more strenuous than the things she does at home (jumping off and on couches, chairs, beds....) Assuming it's okay with Dr. I would let her back at two weeks to do stretching, walking/ jumping on low beam, but no going upside down, and no swinging on bars or jumping on tramp for another week. Good luck!

okay, wait. i know of what i speak. we have 4 year olds that do press handstands and handstands against the wall. please read my post again. gymnastics is much more strenuous than you have posited above. thank you. dunno. :)

2 weeks after my son had his Tonsils, Tubes, and Adenoids he went back to daycare (which was actually a daycamp). He was 6 years old. He did fine but his camp counselors knew about the surgery and were very careful with what activities he participated in.

I would say 3 weeks. You think everything is all good that first few days after surgery but wow it really hits them after that. The second week is the hardest as the scabs fall off and that is the most dangerous time. Our ENT said no running and jumping for two weeks and no sports for 3 (swimming or gym). However, DD1 lost so much weight that I think she was out for four weeks.

After going through this twice with two kiddos at two separate times, the best advice i can give is to not worry about healthy foods that two weeks. Just give them what they can tolerate as long as its not crunchy. Cold foods are better tolerated than warm. Also, if they give you a prescription for naseua medicine "just in case" don't believe them. Get it as you don't want to be running out at 2 am getting that filled while your little one is getting sick after surgery.

Just a quick follow up. DD's surgery was this morning and she seems to be doing well. She actually ate 3 slices of pizza when we got home... No throwing up or anything. I am sure 4 days from now she will feel awful. But she seems good for now. I will keep you all posted in two weeks :) Thanks for everything!!

wow!!!!!!!!!!! pizza???????? wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's like eating a steak after a root canal. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back