MAG How long to get used to grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

alongfortheride

Proud Parent
When your son got his first grips, how long did it take him to get used to wearing them, and to start wearing them to compete? Thanks!

J started wearing HB grips in May when training L6/giants regularly. He was used to then within a few weeks and can't imagine high bar without them (used them the whole season). As far as ring grips go... tried them at the same time - hated them and competed L6 without them. After his L6 season finished - he was not allowed on rings without grips and was used to them within a few weeks. Hope that helps!

D was pretty quick. He loved hb grips. each new pair takes some time though. We are upgrading his grips but are waiting until the off season to do it. For some kids, it takes quite a while, for others, they adjust rather quickly.

A few weeks.....depending on age too......little ones HATE grips....
THIS!! my son got his first pair as a almost 7 year old that only weighed 45lbs. He never got used to them. A year later, we ordered him some "girls" grips and took a sharpie to the pink part. Those fit better and he has used them with success this year. His hands are really small. Good luck!!

Thanks! I was curious what the norm was (if there is one.) I was worried it would take awhile. . .but. . surprise. . .my little guy is LOVING them so far. However, he wants to be one of the big kids.

My L6 has had them for 6 months and he uses them every time. He is devoted to them, but the coach says he is still getting used to them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back