Parents How many girls are on your Xcel teams/groups?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
How many girls on on your daughter’s team, and what’s the coach-to-gymnast ratio?

Last year my daughter’s Bronze team had 30 girls split into three practice groups of 10, and everything went well.

Our fall schedule started in mid-July (schools start early here) with four practice groups of 10, each group having its own coach. In the past couple weeks there have been three more girls added to her group. I’m not sure how many, if any, were added to the other groups.

Some of the parents and I were talking about it during practice today, and we’re not thrilled about the coaches being responsible for keeping track of 30% more girls or our girls getting 30% less one-on-one time or 30% fewer turns on each station. These girls are first years, so they’re requiring more attention.

Is this a normal ratio or should we talk to the head coach about our concerns?

Is it only 1 coach for each practice group?

My practice group (XLG/XLP/XLD/L6) consists of about 23-26 girls (since it summer, we usually have about 20 girls at most show up to a practice at a time and split into 3-4 groups (5-7 per group, with 1 or 2 coaches per event)

Our Bronze/Silver/Gold group is 24 students with two coaches. This is not an ideal ratio, but it’s a necessary evil to keep our program financially viable. With that said, we have some social dynamics working in our favor. We rarely have perfect attendance. And some of our athletes aren’t that serious about their training. So out of a hypothetical 12-person class, we typically have 2 absences, 2 goofballs, and 8 “serious” athletes. Athletes who prioritize their training are still able to receive high-quality instruction, in spite of the large class size.

Is it only 1 coach for each practice group?

My practice group (XLG/XLP/XLD/L6) consists of about 23-26 girls (since it summer, we usually have about 20 girls at most show up to a practice at a time and split into 3-4 groups (5-7 per group, with 1 or 2 coaches per event)
Yes, unfortunately only one coach per practice group.

XS/XG/XP- Probably about 40 girls in total, split up into 3 or four groups and 1 or 2 coaches per event
XD/XSA- 1 sapphire and 3 diamonds who all practice with the optionals and 3-4 coaches

Sounds pretty normal to me. When my daughter was Silver, it was 14 girls to 1 coach. In Gold it is 12 girls to 1 coach. Certainly not ideal, but as long as their practices are structured properly (to limit the amount of time spent standing around doing nothing), it should be manageable.

At my daughter's gym, the Xcel practice groups are typically 12-15 girls, with 1 main coach and often another coach who floats between the groups that train at the same time. I agree it's not ideal, but they make it work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Magana Club

The Shaposhnikova Skills in the 2025-28 CoP

Back