Parents New gymnast added to group

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym_momma

Proud Parent
Our season goes from July-June with the competitions running from January-April. At our practice today, a new gymnast was added to our group. She is quite a bit younger/less mature than the other girls. I'm trying not to be annoyed about how her integration may take away from key training that my daughter needs now that we are less than 3 weeks from our first competition. Any advice to offer?

I get new people on my team sometimes and it is really hard. I am the oldest and most advanced in my team and I feel like others hold back my training sometimes. It is unfortunate but I would recommend doing private lessons if she needs something more advanced.

My advice is to try focusing on how it's much harder for the new girl and her parents than it is for you and your kid, and what you can do to help make that transition easier. How can you use the opportunity to guide your kid in a way that helps make her a better teammate, and ultimately a better human as she goes out into the world? Or you could focus on the opportunity for your kid to make a new friend, or for your daughter's team to be stronger. At the very least, you can use it to model why in gymnastics, it's important to focus on yourself and your gymnastics and not on what others are doing.

We love new team members! I would focus on welcoming her with open arms and helping her blend into the group. If the impact of one additional member on a team is going to impact your daughter that much, there are other issues at play. (Honestly, is there some jealousy going on?)

Did you really write this after just one practice with the new kid? I'd be encouraging my kid to extend some empathy to the new kid. Mid-season moves are not that common so I'm inclined to think there's some sort of upheaval in this kids life, whether the change is 100% gymnastics related or not.

Did you really write this after just one practice with the new kid? I'd be encouraging my kid to extend some empathy to the new kid. Mid-season moves are not that common so I'm inclined to think there's some sort of upheaval in this kids life, whether the change is 100% gymnastics related or not.
My daughter spent a good portion of her practice teaching this girl the compulsory routine. She was really happy to help and I do love that about her... But she only has 7 practices left before her comp. I was a bit surprised to see them add a new gymnast from the rec program at this time rather than focusing on getting the existing group ready for their competition. A few months ago I wouldn't have found it odd. I guess it's the timing that is bothering me. Appreciate hearing others views. I will try to focus on ourselves and our own prep.

I still stand by what I said even if this kid is brand new to team. I would just trust that the coaches have faith that the kid can learn the routines quick enough to compete with confidence and let it be. Being only a few weeks out your kid probably is already solid on her routines. Also consider the honor of your kid being chosen to teach the new one the routine...there's a lot of potential life lessons to be learned in this situation (being a role model to the new, younger teammate, having patience and grace to teach a routine). I highly doubt this will impact your kid's success this season. She will be fine.

My daughter spent a good portion of her practice teaching this girl the compulsory routine. She was really happy to help and I do love that about her... But she only has 7 practices left before her comp. I was a bit surprised to see them add a new gymnast from the rec program at this time rather than focusing on getting the existing group ready for their competition. A few months ago I wouldn't have found it odd. I guess it's the timing that is bothering me. Appreciate hearing others views. I will try to focus on ourselves and our own prep.
Your daughter paid it forward and helped out a teammate in need. Chances are she will do fine at the competition and not even remember it anyways, but will remember the way it felt to help another teammate out, especially if she needs help herself someday and another gymnast takes time out of their practice to help her.

Your daughter's first meet will go just fine- maybe having her teach the new girl the routine even helped solidify some of the smaller details in her mind. The bigger piece is learning to give to a new teammate and pass on the skills she has gained. My daughter loves getting a new skill, but nothing makes her happier than helping out a younger kid or offering support that truly impacts a teammate for the better. Gymnastics is great. The real gain is the things they learn along the way that help them become amazing human beings.

My daughter spent a good portion of her practice teaching this girl the compulsory routine. She was really happy to help and I do love that about her... But she only has 7 practices left before her comp.
Teaching the routine is a great test of how well they really know it and increase their confidence in performing the routine, I am sure your daughter was extra focused on all the little details. I have known some coaches who get gymnasts (low level optionals) to teach sections of their routine to each other to help them really 'know' and perform their own routine. It's also good bonding and fun for the kids.
You can choose to see the negatives or the positives in the situation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News