How much canteen $ for IGC?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello again,

DD is off to ICG in two weeks. I plan on putting some money in her canteen account but I just don't know how much. Any suggestions? She is 8 and I don't really want her using it for merchandise and stuff like that. I'm just thinking she might want a snack or something like that during the week.

Thanks!

I gave mine $25. Enough for a cold drink and a treat per day and enough to treat a friend. My youngest seemed to spend all hers on skittles. The printout they give at the end can be very illuminating. Waiting to get the unspent money back at the end of the week can be a royal pain as well. I told mine to try to spend every penny the second year!

DD went to Woodward today and I gave her $50. She never spends it all, but the first year she went I told her something to the extent of "you had better have money left over if you want to buy a leo at the end of the week." Then I later found out that she told her new camp BFF that she couldn't spend any money and this friend (who apparently had a very large camp account) ended up paying for her to get ice cream, ride go-carts, etc. So now I don't put any strings on the money, but now she's also a lot more focussed on gymnastics than she was then, so I really don't think it will be an issue. Also, at Woodward, we can get the balance of her account when we pick her up. If I had to wait for it to be mailed to me, I probably would have sent her with less. Bog is right that $25 is probably enough, unless you want her to be able to buy souveniers with it. I usually visit mid-week (we live very close) and we do our souvineer shopping then.

Today another mom from our gym who was dropping off said that the people in front of her in the check-in line put $250 in their kid's camp account. Yikes!!!

I put $200 in the account, but mind you this is for a leotard and sweatshirt as well.
I ended up having quite a bit left as I didn't find it necessary to buy any extra food, but mind you I was 16 yrs old.

If you are just putting it in for food and other things, $25 is enough.
If it's for a leo or any other clothing it would have to be more.

Wonder if Flipfest mails it or not.....

Perfect. I was thinking $20-25 for snacks was enough. If she wants a shirt or leo we can get that when I drop off / pick up, right? I'm sure she'll buy junky stuff but I don't want to lecture her about what she spends it on or that will just give her something else to worry about.

My parents gave me 100 the first year I went and 200 the second, but we knew that I would want a tshirt and leo each time. If you're just buying snacks $25 SHOULD be enough but I spent almost all my money on food(besides the shirt/leo) so it wouldn't have been enough for me, all that gymnastics made me SOOOOOO hungry!!!! LOL

Disclamer: I did send my daughter with enough snacks to feed a small 3rd world country, so she may not buy as many snacks as she might otherwise.

I am wondering this too. MaryA, you are so lucky that the camp allows you to visit!!! DD's camp does not :(

We did $50 a week My Dd wanted water bottles and the gatorade packets to make the water into a drink other than water. She also brought water and the drink mix packets. She also brought a few boxes of the individual snacks you know the ones where you get like 24 individual chip bags in a box. She brought individual goldfish packets, and her favorite are the cheese and cracker snacks - you know the ones with crackers in one side and cheese to spread on them on the other side with the little stick to spread it on the cracker. Then when I get home from dropping her off that day I send a small care package with a few of her favorite candy items and some fun items I know she would like.

The Leo and t-shirts she can put on hold until we pick up if we let the camp know in advance that we will pay for anything she picks out. DD I tell her she can get one leo and one t-shirt. If she wants to spend the $50 on another that is up to her.

Hmm, after all this talk just wanna bring this up.

At woodward, I agree I brought a ton of my own snacks. Snack Bars, a jar of Peanut butter and a spoon, homemade cookies etc..

It seems at IGC you can do the same thing.
But at Flipfest it says absolutely no food in the cabins. So I guess I should bring a bit more money to buy food with :/

not trying to jack the thread but..
gymsurvivor they reason is they probably ants and animals and such. I would say it would be ok to bring a few power bars and such. They are just trying to avoid spilling sugar and such. So if it is a one time deal open it and throw it away.t hen it would probably be ok. or if you could properly reseal it.

aaah!! i can't really contribute to this thread but just want to say it has been my lives dream to go to IGC for the past... forever! She is so lucky, hope she has fun! :)

IGC does not allow you to bring own snacks. Only exception is if something was 'medically necessary' (like a protein shake) they kept them in the Infirmary and the kid had to go there (we know b/c we were on line to drop off DD's allergy/asthma stuff).

For 2 weeks, I put in $100. You are able to monitor purchases online. DD bought M&M's but also pizza and pretzels (big salty ones) each afternoon because she was starving after gym, before dinner. She had enough leftover at the end of 2 weeks to buy photos, and we still got money back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back