WAG How much coaching fluctuation is typical?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
Do HC's usually stay shorter term? What about assistant coaches? How long have your child's coaches been at their gym?

HC has been at the gym since before we got there (at least 12 years)... so has her main assistant coach. The other assistants are younger and have been there varying amounts of time, but all have been there for at least 6 months with most being there more than 2 years.

Our old gym had a ton of turnover in everyone except the HC (girls) and owner. Boys, TNT, rec team and assit/event coahces all have had tons of turnover (most staying 3-24 months).

When we first started at our gym the team coaches didn't have much turn over at all. The HC was there for 8 years before he left. Our current head coach has been here three or four years. We have had a bit more turn over lately with our assistant coaches.

All but 1 coach left our gym last year. No real HC now as the owner is being HC. The level 4 coach, optionals and boys stayed this year. The ACs are leaving to go to school in the fall... We need coaches!!!

Our current main coaches are all returning alumni of the gym, some have been there coaching since they stopped actively doing gymnastics, some have coached elsewhere and come back. I would be very surprised if any of them were going anywhere..!
ETA: we also have other coaches that seem to come and go, and we enjoy them while we have them. Our core coaches have all been here long term though.

Coaches are owners, both 20 yrs, Daughters coach from time to time, 4 plus years. Other coach not sure but I am guessing at least 5 yrs. 2 older girls assist, one still on team one in college, 2 and 4 yrs respectively. Office assistants don't last long.

Our HC is also the owner, so she is not going anywhere. ACs change often. The main coaches usually stay a few years. DD's current coaches are the owner, the guy who used to train at this gym, and has been coaching for the past 3 years, and they just hired a new woman.
In the two years that we've been with this gym, 4 of the "main" coaches left (one left when DD just started, two left last summer, and one Xcel coach left recently).

Our HC and the HS for optional and level four have been there for years (HC is maybe a part owner - not sure about that). Our Level 3 HC is in her 2nd year with team and the xcel HC has been an AC for 4 years and just took over xcel. A few of the ACS are in their 1st or 2nd year with the gym and a couple have been there for years.

Team at our gym has steady coaching, but all rec classes have quick turnover as we're all mostly college kids that return home for the summer or come to the area for school. Most of us that leave for the school year return every summer though (i.e. me). Same thing with the few gym classes that are offered at my university.

Team HC is also the gym owner. Her main AC that had been there for 2 years left in January and she's hired 2 more that will hopefully be here for a while.

HC has been with the gym for 12 years, but the girls team has only existed for 3, boys only 4 -- he is HC for both. The two AC have been there 5 and 6 years. There is a fair amount of turnover among the younger rec instructors but there is also a group of older instructors who have been there for 10+ years. The gym opened, with the current owners, about 27 years ago.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back