Parents How often does your gym switch leos?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The thread about finances made me curious-how often does your gym change leo styles? Both gyms we have been to are every other year. I kind of figured this is standard? I have also always wondered, Do the leo companies discontinue the styles every couple of years to force gyms to buy new ones?
About every two years at our gym.

Apparently whenever the head coach wants to. My daughter started competing in the spring invitational season ( 3 meets) 2013 and we got a beautiful leo that the other girls had only worn in the previous fall season.. For fall 2013 a new leo was needed. Coach decided it needed bling, worn 1 meet, coach didn't like the bling, a new leo was needed. It was worn for 4 meets and it was decided the straps were too narrow. Spring invitationals 2014 a new leo was ordered to replace the one with too thin of straps. 4 leos in 12 months. The last leo was worn for a full year, but I gladly would have bought a new leo to replace it because it was ugly, white that became dingy, looked awful on my pale blonde daughter, and needed a liner that that was so tight that it took 2 people to get my daughter into. Most of the moms at our gym are a little bitter about the leos.

2-3 years. Usually dependent on the manufacturer discontinuing the style. Daughter has gotten 2 yrs out of this one. Gym doesn't plan to change this, it will depend on the manufacturer.

2 years at our gym. The warms ups are not supposed to be changed, but I'll believe it when I see it.

every year for level 2 (sleeveless, and much cheaper than our custom l/s leos)
every other year for 3+, but L6+ has a different leo than 3-5 so if you move up mid leo cycle you are buying one every year for 3 straight years.
We had the "old" warm ups for about 5-6 years, new HC's 2nd year we got new ones. Promised 5-6 years again, but now she wants new bags and warm ups (b/c "everyone is getting under armour") so this summer only 3 years into warm ups and a leo year, she wants new everything. Mom's/boosters are asking her to wait, but I think it is falling on deaf ears.

Apparently whenever the head coach wants to. My daughter started competing in the spring invitational season ( 3 meets) 2013 and we got a beautiful leo that the other girls had only worn in the previous fall season.. For fall 2013 a new leo was needed. Coach decided it needed bling, worn 1 meet, coach didn't like the bling, a new leo was needed. It was worn for 4 meets and it was decided the straps were too narrow. Spring invitationals 2014 a new leo was ordered to replace the one with too thin of straps. 4 leos in 12 months. The last leo was worn for a full year, but I gladly would have bought a new leo to replace it because it was ugly, white that became dingy, looked awful on my pale blonde daughter, and needed a liner that that was so tight that it took 2 people to get my daughter into. Most of the moms at our gym are a little bitter about the leos.

Wow! That is insane! I can't blame them for being bitter. I can't believe she changed it again after one meet. Crazy!!!

I think in the UK there is less of a trend in changing competition leos so often. From my experience some clubs do change them every 2 years, but on the whole 4-5 years is normal. One club in our region must have had the same Leo for 15 years - I have been coaching for 16 and never seen them have a new one until this year! We had ours for 4 years and changed them at the end of last year. The old ones are still used for our rec squad gymnasts (a bit like excel). We don't sell ours, we rent them out and once we have made our money back, we change to new ones!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back