How to convince parents????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,
My birthday is coming soon and i really want to ask my parents if i can get a small gymnastics bar. I am not very advanced, so i won't need a too big bar. All i asked for christmas was cheap stuff. We are pretty wealthy, but my parents just like to save..... bar is really my worst event, so i could use lots of extra practice...... how to convince them that I deserve this? :confused: :rolleyes:

To be honest, I think having a bar at home is a little useless. It seems like a good idea at first, but home equipment almost always ends up collecting dust and causing injuries/bad habits. Gymnastics skills really belong in the gym, maybe ask your parents for a pull-up bar instead. The bar you linked to is very small, and for someone who is 13 or older, it would probably not hold up very well, and could tip over.

What skills are you needing to practice? If it's just small ones like a kip or pullover (things kids do without being spotted on the playground every day) then you're probably better with a mounted chin-up bar like the PP said, which are $15 at any sports store and designed to hold adults, and then ask for a good landing mat for your gift instead, which will make it safer. You can mount it in a hallway, and just take the bar down when you're done so no one has to duck under it. I tried finding one online but can't find what we have in our house, which leaves a bracket on each wall to slide the bar into and out of. I promise they have them at Sports Authority or whatnot.

If the skills are anything bigger than that, then I would leave them in the gym and maybe ask for a few private lessons instead. You don't want to end your gymnastics journey with an easily avoidable injury.

When you are as old as you are a home bar is useless. If you watch videos of even little kids on them they are relatively unstable. A chin up bar for strength is about the only useful as home bar I would recommend. Very few coaches would encourage bar work at home.

I had a bar as a kid like 10 y/o. I learned my kips on it amongst other dangerous things lol. It was a metal chip up car cemented into the ground, nothing expensive, nothing fancy. I don't see anything wrong with asking especially if it is within your means. After all it is your Birthday ask for what you want no real conviencing needed if they are going to spend the money otherwise anyway.

Let them know how badly you want it, but don't beg them. Bars are expensive, but can help you with skills. Let them know what you need to work on and how it can help you in the future. Also, if a bar is too expensive or if you just never get the time to buy it, depending on where you live, chances are, there is a park around you that might have a bar. You can go there when its okay with your parents to work on skills. Consider other things other than just buying a bar. There are many possibilities like a chin up bar, floor bar, etc. Good Luck! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back