WAG How to explain the Kip-CAST combo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Reaction score
DD has a very nice straight arm kip but ends up in support with no more power for the cast. She stops, then casts. She has a good cast Handstand too....but alone, with no connection.
She has a bit of a better time on the second kip on HB.
What can I tell her to think of when she is trying to combine the two? (not to handstand, but at least to horz)

Honestly, I wouldnt tell her anything. The coaches will give her the input she needs. When dd was learning, the coaches didn't want her connecting it initially. They wanted her focusing on the individual parts. It will come together when she is ready.

She'll grow into the connection as she becomes more efficient in her kip motion.

I realize, it sounds as if I am trying to fix something. My daughter talks to me a lot about specific things in her gymnastics. I have on many occasions been able to tell her something very silly or clarify, to help her get it. We LOVE dear coach! but he speaks very limited English and sometimes us talking through a skill clarifies things.

If we were talking about something simple like a double back on floor we'd have the problem well in hand, but glide kips are very tough learn because.... well just because they are.

I realize, it sounds as if I am trying to fix something. My daughter talks to me a lot about specific things in her gymnastics. I have on many occasions been able to tell her something very silly or clarify, to help her get it. We LOVE dear coach! but he speaks very limited English and sometimes us talking through a skill clarifies things.

LOL. Mine came home from practice yesterday and told me a correction coach had given about skill she was working. Then she said she had no idea what coach was talking about, but wanted me to help her figure it out.

DD has gained a few things by watching youtube videos (those JAO videos are the bomb).
Really, a great coach who can't communicate in a way gymnasts understand is not so great after all.

She needs to arrive in support with her feet in front of the bar.

This is why the kip to front hip is in the routines and why we taught kip, immediate forward roll off the bar to get their shoulders over the bar.

Another drill we've done is short/drop kips and teaching them to land in support with the feet in front to cast out. Obviously, they eventually need to learn how to drop kip themselves.

Thanks Blairbob.......its hard for us parents sometimes because there is a silent rule that parents should not coach their kids. Lets be real, unless parents are out there on the floor at open gym spotting on the floor..(BIG YIKES) then we all do it!
Sometimes good old Mom can explain a thing or two!
I still tell her to put imaginary glue on her ears and stick her arms there for tumbling!!

I will tell her just to keep her toes in front at the end.... we will see.

Yes, JAO Videos are great!!!

Jason video's have pretty good content and he does edit them very well.

There is definitely something to be said about your situation if the coach doesn't speak much english.

I've been around some foreign coaches and I heard of one that basically made gestures with her hands to communicate. That might be one thing if it was little kids but way tougher with school age kids.

DD has a very nice straight arm kip but ends up in support with no more power for the cast. She stops, then casts. She has a good cast Handstand too....but alone, with no connection.
She has a bit of a better time on the second kip on HB.
What can I tell her to think of when she is trying to combine the two? (not to handstand, but at least to horz)

jumping from a block to the bar and immediately casting solves this problem. i've posted this before but i know i'll never find it here. :)

If we were talking about something simple like a double back on floor we'd have the problem well in hand, but glide kips are very tough learn because.... well just because they are.

for some reason I just love this answer...it makes me chuckle and it's so true :)

Thanks!! That's what i was talking about.

I know a quality drill when I see it.... well read it in this case.

jumping from a block to the bar and immediately casting solves this problem. i've posted this before but i know i'll never find it here. :)
I tried this tonight with my girls, love it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back