Parents How to pick a good gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Littlegymmama

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I’m a little new to the competitive gymnastics world and was wondering if there is a way to check gym ratings? I’m looking to switch my daughter to a new gym but want to make sure we are going to a gym that will push her and does well In competitions. My concern is that my daughters gym doesn't turn out anyone at decent level, so if my kid does have that potential, she will be restricted to whatever it is her gym is capable of providing. Which I’m already seeing sign of. We are in the Georgetown/ Round Rock area of TX

You can look at websites like Mymeetscores, MeetScoresOnline, SportzSoft Live Meet, etc. for gyms you have researched to see what levels they have, what meets they compete at, and how well they score in those levels. You can also find the gym's website and see if they have any information about if they have produced elite or college athletes.

Biggest thing I would look for is a gym with lots of older team kids. This is an indicator that they train in a way that is sustainable and keeps kids wanting to return.

Don't let yourself be impressed by good meet placement at lower levels; upper-level success, and kids sticking with the program into their teens, are much better indicators of a quality program

Last edited:
You can look at websites like Mymeetscores, MeetScoresOnline, SportzSoft Live Meet, etc. for gyms you have researched to see what levels they have, what meets they compete at, and how well they score in those levels. You can also find the gym's website and see if they have any information about if they have produced elite or college athletes.
Thank you. The websites didn’t give much of an indication of this and I wasn’t sure where else to look.

Biggest thing I would look for is a gym with lots of older team kids. This is an indicator that they train in a way that is sustainable and keeps kids wanting to return.

Don't let yourself be impressed by good meet placement at lower levels; upper-level success, and kids sticking with the program into their teens, are much better indicators of a quality program
Thank you so much. I didn’t even think of that but it’s so true.

There are some large gymnastics Facebook groups where it is easy to solicit info on specific gyms from people with personal experiences.

Looking at MyMeetScores.com, etc. is a great idea, but be sure to click on each gymnast’s individual history and see if she’s “homegrown” or a transfer from another program. Then start noting any trends. I know in our metro area, you would see some.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back