• ChalkBucket Does Not Provide Medical Advice

Always first seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding an injury / medical condition. This forum is simply here to share your injury & recovery experiences and what has worked or not worked for you and your athlete.

Injury How to prevent brusing my hips on the bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

FrozenMode

Gymnast
Reaction score
I went to practice on Friday and when I was practicing my skills such as cast and hip circle on the bar, I was having a lot of pain in the front of my hips. When I got home I saw my hips were purple from the bar. I tried my best to reduce impact when hitting the bar but it didn't seem to help. Anything I can do? I don't want to have to bring my own padding or something.

First, give it time to heal.

Second, if your technique is correct, there usually shouldn't be all that much impact on the bar. In a back hip circle, your shoulders should drop back before your hips reach the bar, so you shouldn't hit the bar so much as brush by it on the way by.

I can see the initiation of the cast aggravating a bruise, but shouldn't be enough to cause bruising on its own -- so long as you give your bruises time to heal.

This used to happen to me all the time when I worked cast to hs it got to the point where my hips where splitting open and bleeding. Honestly I don’t really have a solution. Eventually my body got used to it and it stopped. However my gym has pads that you can wrap around the bar just wide enough for your hips to go on them I didn’t like the feeling of it being there but if you have those it could help.

Rip up a foam block and lay a rectangular shaped piece over your hips, under your shorts if you wear them. Some girl at my old gym did that

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back