WAG How would this skill be evaluated?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
One of my girls has been playing around with a kip to straddle support on bars. I looked for it in the code but couldn't find it.

So suppose a level 8/9/10 girl were to mount bars with a stalder kip to handstand. Something like this: side kip on p bars straddled - YouTube.

How would this skill be evaluated? Would it be considered a forward stalder variation, or as a kip variation, or as a new skill?

It must have been in the code at some point because in the old style of UB I'm sure that was a skill. The potential for rhythm deductions in the current style of UB kind of discourages it I guess.

yes, when the bars were closer they would do this if they lacked the flexibility of jambing both legs between the arms. they would then "thigh" bounce up to the high bar. it's no longer in the code but it is an A. watch the 7 second mark of Roxanne Pierce's routine.

VINTAGE 70'S GYMNASTICS ROXANNE PIERCE UNEVEN BARS ROUTINE 1973 - YouTube

[video=youtube;4CVCmm9J8oU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVCmm9J8oU[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
So even if it went to handstand, it would still be an A?

That's a shame

no. that would be a wrong grip Endo to handstand. they would have to give that a C i believe. and i don't think that has been done. Amy Chow did those as drills but never used one as a mount on bars. and it's not in the code either. i think that would be a cool mount.:)

Well a wrong grip endo to handstand is (if I recall correctly) a D, but it seems like the thing that makes it a D is starting from handstand and dropping in with the wrong grip, so starting from under the bar would negate the most difficult part of the skill.

but it would still make it a C. and if she then went Endo wrong grip from the mount you would have C>D and would be bonus. that would be a cool mount. i've never seen anyone do it.:)

Why would it be a C? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just wondering what parts of the code I would need to show to a judge if there was a disagreement about the value or recognition of the skill.

Why would it be a C? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just wondering what parts of the code I would need to show to a judge if there was a disagreement about the value or recognition of the skill.

You'd have to get the skill evaluated by the region technical director.

yes ^^^ and i think they'll rate it a C if it goes to handstand. the men do it. they have taken skills from men for women and have rated them before.

Why not a C?.... It's going to take a "heckofa kip" to get that straddle to a handstand while maintaining the look of a swing skill. I'd give it a C, and require that it be done in a swing time rythym.....with reasonable deductions up to loss of credit for "muscle-ing" the skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back