WAG Ice bath- Helpful, harmful or neither?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
I tried to do some research on effectiveness of ice baths, but all I found was inconclusive. Thoughts on risk/benefits? Also, it seems it is mostly recommended following a workout, is there any purpose in just doing it on a non-workout day?

At the recommendation of his pt, my son takes them regularly. He hated it at first, but now he will take them willingly, and often. He says they make all of the difference!

Daughter is currently rehabbing an injury and cleared for practice. Doc said ice, even if there is no pain.

For a while we were doing them pretty regular. Not the whole body but her hands, feet and elbows.

I beleive swelling is healing. I beleive Ice helps relieve pain and swelling when it has become too prominent. Blood flow is necessary to promote healing. Take away is ice sometimes and at other times heat and mobility are far better.

basically as far as i understand icing stops everything: the hurting and the healing an the adapting. can be good to reduce swelling. otherwise i would recommend the opposit, hot bath, slow jogging, all the stuff that increases the bloodflow.

Ice makes it feel better, but ice also slows the metabolism, so it will actually prolong healing. As John said , the reduction of swelling definitely feels better , but the body swells and heats an injured area for a reason. It’s the fastest way to heal . Sadly most of the medical community is stuck on ice . It’s not a big deal to them because you are only talking about a few days or weeks longer by using it. And after all it does feel better. So ice bath? No benefit but not on the same scale as blood letting. ;)

I will end with, if you think it’s effective then then mind can actually help healing. Until it doesn’t ...

On that same note, would cryotherapy achieve the same results as ice bath, but not as uncomfortable?

In my experience an ice bath and cryotherapy achieve very similar results. Cryo is quicker and easier but also much more expensive. I also believe an ice bath or cryo achieves a different reaction from the body than icing only a specific body part ( like a wrist, an ankle or an elbow). I base this simply on the results of myself and my gymnast using cryo regularly, while also icing minor injuires.

My son's entire body was so inflammed last year that this was the only thing that helped. He uses it sparinlgly, thank goodness.....

THanks for the replies. Younger dd's HS cheer coach decided that in place of practice today, the team would all be doing ice baths today as 'preparation' for their regional competition tomorrow. I had really only heard of it being used as treatment for injury or used after intense workout for recovery. DD has no injuries nor muscle soreness as their workouts just really aren't that intense. Because there have been numerous questionable things this season with this team, I have started to question much of what goes on.

THanks for the replies. Younger dd's HS cheer coach decided that in place of practice today, the team would all be doing ice baths today as 'preparation' for their regional competition tomorrow. I had really only heard of it being used as treatment for injury or used after intense workout for recovery. DD has no injuries nor muscle soreness as their workouts just really aren't that intense. Because there have been numerous questionable things this season with this team, I have started to question much of what goes on.
Well.... no harm no foul I guess

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back