Parents Ice skating party

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

13Harley13

Proud Parent
I have never allowed my gymnast to go ice skating, especially right before the season is to start. The coach has organized a big sister/little sister holiday party at the ice skating rink. I am shocked the coach would choose this type of activity for his team. I am terrified to let her go. She has had many injuries and the most recent effected her last season. What to do? She is a level 8.

We had a similar situation at level 8. Our top gymnast had a skating birthday party. We made sure we had a scheduling conflict. Our entire family sacrifices too much to get hurt at a skating party/

I can't imagine not letting my kids do other things during their season (for whatever sport) just because they might get hurt. Of course, my kids are not elite or Olympic-bound (or even college scholarship material.)

I want their sport to be an important PART of their lives and if I started denying them from doing other fun activities, I think they would grow to resent missing out on many things and could even burn out of the sport.

Heck, I let my L8 gymnast join ski club last year during our competitive season. We don't stop life for gymnastics.

Would never NOT let her. She can get hurt at school.....or in the car......god forbid
To prohibit a child from doing fun things is a sure way for her to decide one day that gymnastics isn't worth it.....
There is a comfortable medium........
Now, would I let her ice skate or ride a roller coaster the DAY before? No.

Does your daughter really want to go to this party? If not, then it seems fine to skip it. If she really wants to go, you can warn her of possible consequences for accidents and let her to decide. You never want anyone to get hurt, but life is short and these girls already give up SO much for gymnastics. They could always get hurt just walking down the stairs or sidewalk, or (much more likely) at gymnastics practice.

We don't do ice skating or roller skating. That being said, she has very big gymnastics goals and has no interest in getting hurt doing something silly. There is enough risk in everything they do. But, she has never really been that interested and it only took one school roller skating party where a boy fell and broke his arm right in front of us 10 minutes into the party for her to see the potential consequences and she doesn't really talk about those activities much anymore. Too much at risk.

Now, I think it might even cause conflict for her if it was a gym activity. That's tough. I would leave it up to her if it were me and make sure she knows the risks and rewards and if she decides to go then maybe help her with some safety strategies.

If she doesn't want to go then just make up a conflict. Grandma is visiting, school birthday party, family outing. Really anything will work.

I think what level and goals for the gymnast are a big factor. If she isn't college track then gymnastics shouldn't interfere with other fun activities, but if she is high level college track or elite, then my personal opinion is that a lost season certainly isn't worth an hour of skating. There are lots of fun ways to spend time with friends.

But, of course, every gymnast and family must make decisions based on their own needs, philosophies and priorities.

A couple of our friends at different gyms have had team ice skating parties this year. It blows my mind but it must be pretty common. I would probably let my dd go if she wanted to though, although I would.probanly be cringing the whole way there.... lol.

I can't imagine not letting my kids do other things during their season (for whatever sport) just because they might get hurt. Of course, my kids are not elite or Olympic-bound (or even college scholarship material.)

I want their sport to be an important PART of their lives and if I started denying them from doing other fun activities, I think they would grow to resent missing out on many things and could even burn out of the sport.

Heck, I let my L8 gymnast join ski club last year during our competitive season. We don't stop life for gymnastics.
This. Not to sound harsh, but......
Gymnastics is a part of life...life is not gymnastics.

Never considered not letting my kids go to an ice skating party.
Lol I try to take them once a year as it's the only sport I'm better than them at!

One dd did go to a skating party a few weeks ago the week before her ballet concert (in which she had 6 dances/main parts), I just told her to take it easy, don't try to go too fast and that her ballet teacher would spontaneously combust if she injured herself with just a week to go. But never considered not letting her go. It's fun memories.

Lol. There wouldn't be many kids at skating parties if everyone was so precious about their kids sports.

I would let my kid go cause she's proven over the years to not be reckless at events like that (skating, trampoline parks, paint ball). However, if she had an upcoming meet that involved multiple non-refundable airplane tickets (to a place I wouldn't otherwise want to go if not going for the meet), and/or my losing a significant hotel deposit, I may be a little more nervous ;) - but I'd probably still let her go if she really wanted to. Does your daughter WANT to go to the party?

And I know we all like to think our sport is safe, but my gut would say that L8 gymnastics is more likely to cause an injury than ice skating - I mean *I* can ice skate?

If she wants to go, let her go. Kids can get hurt anywhere. Not going to a party is equivalent to telling an elementary student who is a gymnast they can't play on the playground.

If she wants to go, let her go. Kids can get hurt anywhere. Not going to a party is equivalent to telling an elementary student who is a gymnast they can't play on the playground.
Believe it or not, there is a group of moms at dd's gym who don't let their kids play at recess. I know this because the kids have talked about it at practice, and my dd has shared the info with me. I was pretty surprised, but with these moms, nothing would really shock me anymore...

None of y'all would be saying this if you'd ever seen my dd "ice skate". It is truly terrifying! That being said, we'd probably go to the party and either not skate or use one of those trainers and/or walker things if it wasn't crazy out on the ice.

And I agree with those about how much we've already put into this season -- no, I don't prevent her from having other "fun" -- trust me, she has plenty. But I've already spent several thousand dollars on this season and it hasn't even started. No way would I let her do something dangerous and that I know she's terrible at 2 weeks out from the season starting.

My DD ice skates and roller skates... Until this year (now homeschooling), it was even part of her school's phy ed program. It never occurred to me not to let her participate. (They also set up an obstacle course every fall, and visit the ropes course at the high school)

We also ice skate as a family a few times per year, and roller skate with another family 3-4 times per year, at least. Plus bday parties or friend invites.

That said, my DD is a naturally cautious kid. If kids are being reckless, she will sit out on her own volition.

As for snow sports, she does refuse to try those - to afraid to get hurt in general. Though I do let my (much less cautious) gymnast DS take ski and snowboard lessons, and being MAG, it's during the season.

I totally get some families not wanting to risk it, but for us, these are just "normal" activities, and not a whole lot different than riding bikes, swimming, using diving boards, etc. There's always some risk.

To OP, do what is comfortable for you, but for me, I'd consider my DD's wishes.

Let us know how it goes...we do roller skating last year and it actually was blast- although most of us were a little worried it turned out great!

I wouldn't consider ice skating that dangerous :eek: Around here ice skating is super common PE sport at schools and every single kid goes for it! During my school years we skated 2-5 times every single year from 1st grade all the way up to high school and I don't remember seeing anyone ever get hurt or injured, not even the less athletic kids with motor skill issues.

Your gymnast knows how to fall. Falling on ice is not that much different to falling on floor. If you are worried make her wear a safety helmet.

I let my daughter go skating. I cringe everytime as she was hurt all of last year on a freak fall on bars. So I am a bit paranoid to start with.
She has to wear a helmet and she has to wear mitts that have the wrist guard protection. If she falls back on her hands. (I bought them for my youngest when she started to learn snow boarding).
My Gymnast dd loves it. She makes so many scarfices and this is something she can do with her other non gym friends.
Let her go skating.

When my DD was in gymnastics, she would occasionally go skating with friends. She used the " slippery Sam" ( glider bar) much longer than the other kids, as she was afraid of getting hurt.

She has transitioned into figure skating very well since retiring from gym.

It's good to let kids try new things. Gymnastics won't last forever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back