WAG Is it "illegal" to learn skills for next level up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
I was catching up today with one of the moms from my daughter's old gym. She was venting a bit about some frustrations, and she said that the head coach had told one of the other mothers on team that the reason they don't teach new skills during meet season is because it's "illegal" to learn skills for the next level up. These girls are levels one and two. This doesn't sound right from anything I'm reading on this message board. Could the coach have meant that it's illegal to learn the new routines, rather than the skills?

That's actually funny...

Each gym has its own policies...those policies may or may not make it illegal in that club...but not in our club.

It sounded kind of ridiculous. The new gym we are at is teaching new skills, and thank goodness. I don't know where on earth that coach got that info from. Actually it seems to me like every other gym besides this one is teaching new skills. I just wanted to make sure we weren't confused about something.

the reason they don't teach new skills during meet season is because it's "illegal" to learn skills for the next level up.

Illegal??? Oh, ummm yeah sure..... in someones' dreams. I agree with the idea that it's a tactic to deflect parent ire onto the governing body.

I seriously doubt the coach said that, sounds like parent hear say..

Thanks for making me laugh this morning. I will pass this on to my friend who will be so glad to hear that it's not breaking the law to learn new skills! :)

But there are many gyms who do not do anything but routines during the meet season and then train new skills once it is done. Not illegal either, just different.

definitely not true. Either the coach is scared to coach levels up (which wouldbe most likely) or they don't know how. Either way they are lying. Ask them again and say "is that the club rules or British gymnastics rules" (or whichever rules your club falls under). It makes sense to not train higher than one level above. If you can't do the progressions above, what makes one think they can train even higher.
levels are put in place to go from a starting point and constantly progress, so it would be foolish to jump the gun

But there are many gyms who do not do anything but routines during the meet season and then train new skills once it is done. Not illegal either, just different.

Yes, the old gym just drilled the routine start to finish, and the girls are getting bored. I think the coach probably did say that it's "illegal" to uptrain as justification for holding the girls back because they want the girls scoring higher at meets. The new gym we switched to does do a lot of routine repetition since it's meet season, but they reward the girls by letting them practice new skills. This has been such a great motivator! I'm glad we aren't breaking any gymnastics laws!!

my dd is l2, and in-between meets her team trains the l3 routines, the week of meet however it is strictly l2 routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back