Coaches Is it possible to safely stack panel mats?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lsl8303

Coach
So I can rarely get my hands on spotting blocks or anything similar but I have tons of panel mats, in the old days we stacked them up and just dealt with the slip and slide but obviously today the gymnast safety has become priority, as it should have always been. Any suggestions on how I can secure stacked panel mats? I've considered bungees (too much of a hazard as they could come loose and smack someone), straps (ratchet straps, but I think these may ruin the panel mats) and even some kind of fabric (not sure how I'd do that). Any suggestions, or products out there?

The large amount of friction caused by water between mats works really well. Every so often I need to stack 8" mats or panel mats for a certain drill or for a spotting platform, and I usually ask for one of the girls' water bottles. Water doesn't make a mess, and it dries off of the mat surface very quickly. Try just spraying or pouring a bit of water on one mat and then laying the second mat on top. You might have to slide it a few times before it really starts to stick.

Yes, against a wall or other object (bar uprights, etc) mostly fine, depends on what you're doing (cast handstands fine, tchatchev probably not). Tumble track is also making nonskid mat pads now. Or you can make up your own non skid pad with stuff available at stores. However, I don't think it will make a stack of smaller panel mats like a heavier spotting block. If you have the heavy long panel mats maybe.

We use water as well. The kids all call it magic water when we are sticking mats together:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back