Parents Is this something to consider in looking for a gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

KipNurse

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Say you have two gyms within 35 minutes of each other. One has been around over 30 years. The other, about 13. The older one over the years has produced about 4-5 college bound gymnasts. The other, none. How long does a program need to build? Is it concerning the newer one hasn't shown any college level gymnasts yet? Just curious...(smallish town btw).

It depends on what level your child is and what you need from a gym. However, much of the college recruiting process is done between college coaches and gym coaches. It's a huge plus (for recruiting) to have a coach plugged into the college recruiting process, but that doesn't mean they are better at progressing a gymnast through the sport.

Well, if the one that has produced 3-5 last did it more than five years ago, I would say they are on pretty much the same footing in that regard. If the one gym had five in the last couple of years, seems like a positive. You really need to look at many factors and also what they are offering for your child at this point, and make the best decision for your family. The best coaches in the world don't really help you if they are in the other room coaching someone else's kid, and yours is in a rec class but wants to be on team. If you are in a smallish town and have a couple to choose from, that's great news!!

Well, if the one that has produced 3-5 last did it more than five years ago, I would say they are on pretty much the same footing in that regard. If the one gym had five in the last couple of years, seems like a positive. You really need to look at many factors and also what they are offering for your child at this point, and make the best decision for your family. The best coaches in the world don't really help you if they are in the other room coaching someone else's kid, and yours is in a rec class but wants to be on team. If you are in a smallish town and have a couple to choose from, that's great news!!
Thank you for the insight! The one that has 3-5 has stretched out over 15plus years...so, def. not in last 3-5. The other gym seems like a good fit...have had some very frustrating two years at current gym and I'm trying to make the best decision for our little one, 9 yrs. old.

Thank you for the insight! The one that has 3-5 has stretched out over 15plus years...so, def. not in last 3-5. The other gym seems like a good fit...have had some very frustrating two years at current gym and I'm trying to make the best decision for our little one, 9 yrs. old.
And reading my reply sounds like I'm all ready to get my kiddo into a college team...I just had someone mention, about our current gym, how they had a "reputation" of college athletes...but I can't help but feel 3-5 over the course of many years is the best indicator but every input I get messes with my head so I wanted to put it out there. I see the new gym as having some vision...and potential over the next few years. But who knows? All I do know is when I had a brief meeting with our current owner, I was told if we did leave, we were not allowed back...so, scared me a little. I'm overthinking everything right now and driving myself crazy. ;-)

Are you currently in the one that has produced to the 3-5 college gymnasts? If so, and it's not a good fit for your dd, then it really doesn't matter that they produced any. A good fit is always more important that just about anything else.

There are lots of reasons why a gym may never have had a college commit. It is important to look at all the factors and determine how many of them affect this particular gym and whether they appear to be overcoming the factors. Are the girls choosing to go to more experienced gyms once they reach optionals (within 1.5 hr drive)? are the coaches capable of coaching higher levels (and going to workshops/training regularly)? is the talent pool of girls capable of getting to L10 in the area really small due to the area? Are the girls quitting before making it to the upper levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back