Coaches Jumping/toe point

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The first group of girls from my developmental group have moved up to level 4. I was very happy for them, etc but the ones who stayed behind with me have me a little worried. The dominant issue is legs. Quickness, toe point, etc.

Firstly, they are very young (5, 6 and one 7yr old), so inconsistency comes with the territory. They can do a set of straight jumps great, and then go to jumping jacks slamming their heels into the floor with bent knees. Or vault 3-5 times very well, and then start sinking into the board just doing straight jumps. It's all over the place some days, great others.

They have been in this group since June, and we do drills to work on this often. It hasn't changed. Recently I've caught myself having to ask for toe point in things like handstands, they know this!! I'm wondering how much of this is natural ability and if it's possible to learn if it hasn't been learned in 4 hours a week over 7 months. I've been told to keep them longer and see, they are fantastic in every other area I just want to know what to expect I guess.

I'll take any good drills that may help them too if anyone has them!

if it ain't one thing it's another, right?

my experience has been that accomplishing the tasks you mention take an entire career. 1 little thing goes wrong mechanically with a skill and all heck breaks loose with body alignment and toe point. so, take a deep breath and keep on keepin on.

ever notice any elites in a routine when it looks like it will be the routine of the century? all of a sudden...something mechanically breaks down within the technique of what they are performing. BAM! bent legs, flexed feet, bent arms and basically falling all over themselves to just get off the apparatus. having done this myself in my youth i still get a good laugh when i see it. gymnastics...:)

haha true enough dunno! I'm probably stressing about it too hard. I go through it mentally and categorically list all the things we have done, the results it's gotten for each girl, and factor in what the individual is working with and the situational setbacks...then do it again. Then I tell myself 'it's ok, they're still very little' and wonder if I'm making excuses for myself.

Older and wiser coaches have said to give it more time, but I don't know how much time I have before I get asked to cut someone from the group. It's a real possibility and I don't want anyone to feel they didn't get enough attention on the things that didn't get them bumped up for next season. I've had to cut people from the group since it started and I HATED it.

I was instructed to spend a lot of time on bars, conditioning, and dance. Their bar skills and strength are very good, and getting springboards and beam time is pretty hard since we have to defer to both team and rec. Excuses...? The ones that moved up are getting very positive reviews from their L4 coach, so there's that at least.

Sorry CB, my coaching neurosis is showing. Deferring to 'Older and Wiser' is hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back