Parents Just a little happy..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Reaction score
DD had states this weekend. It was only her second sanctioned meet ever, after starting in rec classes six months ago and moving to team after winter break. At her qualifying meet she scored just over the minimum qualifying score at 34.65. At states she had a few mini goals for herself. She wanted to raise her vault score (her only previous scores were 7.9 and 8.1 respectively), she wanted to stay on the beam, and she wanted to get a 35 AA (only needed 34 to qualify for regionals, but the HC said only scores over 35 deserve to go). She ended up getting an 8.5 on vault, her highest beam score yet at 9.4, and getting a 36.1 AA. She didn't medal in anything, but she left so happy and proud of herself. She is looking forward to going to regionals with her teammates as one last adventure before we move away. She knows she is unlikely to medal on anything there either, but she has new mini goals: an 8.7 on vault, a 9 on bars (she has gotten a 8.95 twice now, lol), and to not wobble on beam. I think she can meet these goals too, and I am so happy she is level headed about not medaling.

I have a question to add on:

On vault, do they average the two scores or take the better one? She is xcel. There was a girl who missed her handstand and then fell off the mats on her first flat back, but then had a lovely second turn (so I am told- they all kinda look the same to me unless someone rolls or falls). This girl scored higher on vault than dd, who failed to circle her arms and had middling blocks. I was curious how that could be and asked dd, but her reply was she didn't know and wasn't worried about it because she was glad the girl got an ok score because dd scored higher on everything else. My dd is a really sweet girl, but I am genuinely curious how that happens. Thanks!

Yes, higher score, not average. Congrats to your DD on meeting her goals! :)

Sounds like a great meet! And any meet where your child leaves smiling is a success! Smart girl for making goals that are not dependent upon outside forces. She'll go far.

You've pulled off the perfectly executed plan, as generally agreed on chalkbucket but rarely achieved on the ground, to set personal goals and celebrate them :)

Well done to her and to you too and good luck for the next one.

Ha ha! Thanks. She is a very, very mature 12 yo. More mature than her father and I sometimes. Lol

DD had states this weekend. It was only her second sanctioned meet ever, after starting in rec classes six months ago and moving to team after winter break. At her qualifying meet she scored just over the minimum qualifying score at 34.65. At states she had a few mini goals for herself. She wanted to raise her vault score (her only previous scores were 7.9 and 8.1 respectively), she wanted to stay on the beam, and she wanted to get a 35 AA (only needed 34 to qualify for regionals, but the HC said only scores over 35 deserve to go). She ended up getting an 8.5 on vault, her highest beam score yet at 9.4, and getting a 36.1 AA. She didn't medal in anything, but she left so happy and proud of herself. She is looking forward to going to regionals with her teammates as one last adventure before we move away. She knows she is unlikely to medal on anything there either, but she has new mini goals: an 8.7 on vault, a 9 on bars (she has gotten a 8.95 twice now, lol), and to not wobble on beam. I think she can meet these goals too, and I am so happy she is level headed about not medaling.
Your daughter is AWESOME, INCREDIBLE, AMAZING. She has a great outlook! Good luck at Regionals :)

What a great State Meet!!! Congrats to her!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back