Parents Just came back from our second L3 meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bajanswife

Proud Parent
We traveled a few thousand miles to this meet - from Barbados to South Carolina! It was a great experience, that's for sure! I was a bit disappointed for Danielle that she didn't do better - she was so hoping to get some medals. I find that she's still inconsistent with her skills and routines. Still, I am proud of her for traveling all that way, sleeping in hotels, performing in a very different gym, and still holding her own. And most of all, having fun!

Her scores were as follows for L3, 7 yr age group: (scores for first meet in Trinidad in June in brackets for comparison)

Vault: 8.2 (8.9)
Bars: 7.85 - missed back hip circle (7.0 - missed BHC and mill circle)
Beam: 8.7 (7.7 - major wobbles, but no falls)
Floor: 8.65 - major wobbles after split leap (9.225 - bronze medal)
AA: 33.4 - 6th (32.825 - 6th)

She's uptraining to L4, but still has a few skills to get (attaching the BHS to the RO, the beam dismount, front hip circle consistently). I'm not sure what level she will compete in February - I guess it depends how her L4 skills are. Our gym doesn't compete a gymnast in a level if they can't get the whole routine done at least most of the time - it doesn't have to be pretty.

The Barbados girls team did really well in Level 3 and 4 overall, though. Lots of golds and silvers by individual gymnasts, plus we won team gold in one level and team silver in the other! One of our level 3s got to bring home a Carolina Crown as well, which was huge for us and her! We didn't do as well at the higher levels - our gymnasts aren't as experienced at those levels. Our level 5s are new (first L5 meet for them), and our coaches are still learning how to put together good optional routines for L7. It was our first year taking boys too. One of our male coaches took home 3 golds though - he is so good. I was generally proud of our team - it was nice to see that we are on par with the U.S. gyms at the lower levels - it's hard training in isolation for most of the year.

It looks like Danielle had some very nice improvements at this meet, that is always a great sign. The other things are just things that happen to any gymnast.

Your gym is doing a great job, it is hard to train in isolation and with no clubs to measure yourselves against.

Hope the trip was fun, when it's that far you really want it to be full of great memories.

Hope the trip was fun, when it's that far you really want it to be full of great memories.

It was great just being in the U.S. - the fall colours, the cooler weather, the shopping, the restaurants .... all good! As much as I love our little island, it's nice to get away every once in a while and do something different.

Sounds like Danielle made a lot of improvements on bars and beam. It must have been good to get to sort of measure your team against some U.S. teams. I can't imagine how hard it must be to train in isolation. Great job to your team taking home so many medals!

Sounds like competing for your team is a lot of fun. It sounds like she is making improvements. We talk in the U.S. about how families have to be committed the the gymnastics lifestyle but your situation makes me realize how much I take for granted as a mom. We have clubs everywhere and too many competitions to even be able to attend. I just have to drive an hour or less. Hopping a plane for every competition is real commitment. I could not do that. Kudos to you and Danielle!

She made some really nice improvments!! I am glad she had fun and that you enjoyed your trip to SC.

Congrats to your team as well :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back