Just watched first local comp....confused?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Uglybetty

Proud Parent
DD and I went along to cheer some team members on (she's not competing yet) today. I noticed that a lot of clubs entered girls who clearly could not achieve some of the necessary skills (lots of nasty bars) whereas ours only entered girls they knew would do well. However the thing that confused me most was one floor routine were the girl forgot her routine towards the end (totally froze and burst into tears and didn't finish) and yet seemingly got bronze for it regardless....can't quite work out how that works? Must be annoying for all the girls who finished their routines.

I wouldnt understand how that works either. I went to a competition recently were the same thing happend but the girl got a really low score which you would expect. When i watched my regions voluntaries i noticed quite a few gymnasts getting supported for bwos on beam in the warm up and supported for handspring vaults and i was shocked as to why the club would let them compete, especially for voluntaries when that is supposed to be elite track gymnasts.

DD and I went along to cheer some team members on (she's not competing yet) today. I noticed that a lot of clubs entered girls who clearly could not achieve some of the necessary skills (lots of nasty bars) whereas ours only entered girls they knew would do well. However the thing that confused me most was one floor routine were the girl forgot her routine towards the end (totally froze and burst into tears and didn't finish) and yet seemingly got bronze for it regardless....can't quite work out how that works? Must be annoying for all the girls who finished their routines.

I can only suppose she forgot it near the end and had already included the requirements.

I remember our club spotted all the girls on their flic at compulsory 5, not this year, but last. The mums sat behind, from another club, were all horrified that all their girls could flic and this big, successful club girls couldn't. Our girls still placed higher because their form and technique was so good they could afford to take the hit. They take a long view at that stage. There are other clubs who wont enter girls unless they have all the skills solidly.

Different philosophies. Although I'm not talking about the fact that you also observe some girls who clearly shouldn't have been entered and who make you feel relieved that they got round in one piece!

I witnessed a girl forget her routine at compulsory 4. She stopped and then ran to her coach to ask what to do. The coach sent her back on to the floor, but the judges said because she had left the floor she couldn't carry on. She was devastated and her coach yelled at her in front of everyone. I hate that sort of thing, I get so upset for them and it makes me want to go and give them a hug :(

My 7 yo forgot her routine a few competitions ago. She usually isn't the best at paying attention to the music and sometimes finishes early. Well, at this meet she was really paying attention and trying to stay with the music and I think that she was concentrating so hard on that that she forgot the routine! She stood there like a deer in the headlights for a few seconds (maybe 5-10), then repeated the skill that he had last done, then went on to finish with a very clean routine, just behind the music due to her delay. She scored in the 7s, which was higher than I expected; but her coach told me that other than the adding in the extra element and not staying with the music, she had probably her best routine and that is why she didn't get just killed on the score.

I was filming it at the time ( because I thought it would be good to watch back with DD some of what she may compete next year....kind of more accurate than youtube). When I watched it back, she had completed her two big diagonal tumbling passes before she lost it and I'm pretty sure they were harder than other girls did e.g. twists (I'm still so green....I haven't the foggiest what they're called is that a front full?) and had much cleaner form. Thing is in the moment all I could remember was her not finishing....actually assuming not finishing is not a killer blow you can still do pretty good....there's a lesson in that for my DD.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back