MAG knee pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

sce

Proud Parent
Hi,

Saturday my 12yo ds had a private lesson (he's level 6). He was working on vault, as his coach is working on cleaning up his run and punch off the spring board. After short while his knee started hurting. It was bot a sudden thing form a landing etc, just a paint that developed as he was running. It is just below his knee cap, really at the top of his leg. He iced it off and on yesterday and it was a bit better this morning. even with icing today it got worse again.

I do plan to take him to the doctor, but wanted to see if you all had any ideas or thoughts.

Definitely go see a doctor. Sounds like he may have 'runner's knee' which occurs when you change the way you train suddenly. It could be anything though. Make sure he wears a knee brace and keeps off it until you get word from your doc though.

Hope you can get him in to see an orthopedist soon!! And I hope it's nothing serious! Osgood Schlatter, which has plagued one of my DD's teammates for a few years, comes to mind. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...latter-disease/basics/definition/con-20021911 Another one of those "not really an injury/disease" diseases like Sever's. Annoying to be sure, but totally manageable.

A good ortho practice near us recently opened a drop-in clinic, which has been a fantastic resource a few times over the last year. Hope you also have the ability to get him in soon before he drives you nuts.

My son recently landed a skill on the tumble track and got an avulsion fracture of the patella. The tendon pulls so hard on the bone it pulls off a piece of the bone.

I think with knees there are a ton of different things it could be. Good luck and hope it is nothing serious and he is pain free soon!

We've just gone through several knee problems with my daughter. There can be many things that cause pain, some more serious than others. The best thing to do is have him take it easy, ice and get into the doctor as soon as possible.

My son recently landed a skill on the tumble track and got an avulsion fracture of the patella. The tendon pulls so hard on the bone it pulls off a piece of the bone.

I think with knees there are a ton of different things it could be. Good luck and hope it is nothing serious and he is pain free soon!

Omigosh, KChamp, I'm sorry to hear this! Hope his recovery is going well!

That stinks!! DS had that once....a boy on team did it 2 months ago too. He landed out of a particularly powerful tumbling series and avulsed the tendon from the bottom of the knee cap.

If it is sudden from an actual incident, then it could be something like this....
If it has been coming on more slowly, hurts a lot during running and tumbling practice, and then is fine over the weekend, then it is probably patellar tendinitis, or jumpers knee etc. same thing basically.....
Lots of knee stretching, and get the Chopat knee brace....the one above and below the knee cap.

OS is where the tendons from the kneecap insert into the tibia. Repeated jumping and landing cause millions of micro tears and fractures at the growth plate thus causing over production of bone in that area. It is the tendons also. Most kids with OS also have tendinitis right at the insertion too as the stress form growing also add to the inflammation right at the bony bump below the knee cap. It is both...

Update - so it's been over 2 months since his knee flared up. We saw the sports doctor today to get more of an idea of what is going on and how to proceed with training. It is Osgood, but we got good news. His knee looks normal and is pretty far along the development path. She said at this point it is a nuisance pain and he can do some running and tumbling. He needs to start slow, ice afterwards and back off if it flairs up. She also said he should be past in in about 6 months! So happy for him. Now to keep him contained to just using it during gym time, so he doesn't over do it.

Must be a good feeling that it's not serious. Make sure he has a brace or taping on if he's does any other sports/when he's at the gym for the time being

OMG KCHAMP! My son did the exact same thing. I thought it was such a weird injury, I can't believe your ds did it too. I read your post twice. At first, I thought "did I post that and forget about it?" I'm glad to know he's no the only kid in the world who has managed to break a bone on tumble track. Not that I'm glad your ds broke his knee.

OMG KCHAMP! My son did the exact same thing. I thought it was such a weird injury, I can't believe your ds did it too. I read your post twice. At first, I thought "did I post that and forget about it?" I'm glad to know he's no the only kid in the world who has managed to break a bone on tumble track. Not that I'm glad your ds broke his knee.

ZJsMom - I had never heard of it either. That is funny that you thought you typed it! How is your son now? Mine is back to 100% thankfully!

My ds's injury was two years ago, so it's a distant memory for him now. At the time, he was really upset. He did it right after States and was really looking forward to Regionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back