knee tendonits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
I was looking for any one who has gone though this and how long it affected you. DD has been diagnosed with this and is starting week 2 of rest. She is doing no running jumping landing, etc. She has noticed an improvement. She went to PT today and they said no doing anything to agitate it. They gave her some exercises to do because they said she had a muscle imbalance. She is hoping to ease back into it after resting another week. What were other people experiences? Did you back off training completely or modify workouts to reduce the impact?. Did it last long? Did it come back after it went away? What did you do to treat it?

My dd has gone through this problem twice. Both times she pulled back on her training - no hard landings - for several weeks while she did PT treatment. She, too, had the muscle imbalance. Her quads are very strong on the outside which pulled her patella out of alignment and ended up giving her the tendinitis. PT gave her conditioning to do - bike ridding and lap swimming as well as some weight bearing exercises such as squats. They helped as long as she followed instructions and really did them (I nagged her a bit:)) She came back fine after the rest and PT. It didn't take too long (iirc), and she eased back into full workouts as the knee improved. She did do lots of bars...

Good luck, and listen to your PT

My older daughter had/has a similar problem: patellofemoral pain syndrome.

She also had to avoid hard landings and leaping/jumping. I would say for about 2 weeks. She also was prescribed exercises which really seemed to help. Also icing after every practice.

Her issues were in late July. She had to modify training, like I said, for about 2-3 weeks with one week off (coincidence...gym vacation). When she came back from vacation it flared up right away. Anyway, maybe it was 2-3 more weeks before she stopped complaining of pain off and on, then she went about a month with no issues, now it flares up maybe one time every couple weeks.

Which reminds me...I need to get on her to do those exercises! They really help a lot!

Been through it several times with my gymmie. Cutting back on the pounding, PT and something like ibuprofen helped the 1st time. This last time, the PT put no restrictions on her for gym, but did very aggressive therapy. Lots of balance work in her clinic with e-stim. Got the quads to fire correctly and she really was pain free in about 5 weeks. No at home excercises.

She pointed out on my gymmie's x-rays that her tibia just below the knee is "beaked." Just the way she was born---its only on the right leg. PT told us people that have the tibia shaped like this are far more prone to tendinitis than someone with a normal shape to the tibia. Interesting what little things you learn through this sport!

Same story here too. Outer quads way stronger than inner. Knee cap pulling out of groove. blah blah! Anyway, dare I say were are on a good run. DD has been wearing a knee brace to support her knee cap in place, basically a protective brace. It has worked great, no pain for about 6 months.(knock on wood) Anyway, good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back