Coaches Korbut Flip on Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gralch1

Coach
Through my research I have found that the Korbut Flip is not allowed because of the standing on the high bar. Could it be done on the low bar? It seems to me that more dangerous skills like Geinger and Yeager are just as risky if not more especially when you add twisting.

I am asking because I have a gymnast who thought of the skill not knowing that it had already been done and wants to put it in her routine. I have, obviously, delayed any kind of training on the skill because frankly I want her to be safe. Right now I have told her that it is not an allowable skill due to safety but any input would be appreciated.
PS I loved Olga

I think they've defined bar release moves as being from hands to hands and that's what turned this into a non-skill I'm not certain though. I haven't looked at it in a while. I had one girl just decide to do it one day on pit bar.

I think it is less of a safety issue as the fact that standing on the bar is no longer considered acceptable in a bar routine. Elites, for example, cannot squat-on, and jump to the high bar, and even JO gymnasts can only do that once in a routine without a deduction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back