Leotards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

EmmasMommy

My daughter needs a new gymnastics leotard and I was going to let her pick one out. She wants to get a long sleeve leotard. I can't remember if I recall any of the other girls in the gym wearing them (aside from competitions). I *think* there might be one other girl on her team who wears long sleeve to practice, but I just can't be *sure*.

I'm a bit new to all this. Maybe this is a stupid question. But is it okay to wear long-sleeve leotards to practice? Is it uncommon/frowned up on in anyway?

I just want to ask before I buy her one. I know her gym probably doesn't care one way or another, but I don't want to break some unspoken rule or anything.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this ridiculous question.

Its ok to wear them but most girls who get them usually only wear them once or twice or if its really cold. My DD went through a couple of months where she wore them but doesn't wear them anymore.

My advice is just buy one that is cheap and stick with the sleevless ones.

I find too that Discount Leotards and The leotard Lady have very affordable leos.

My DD likes to wear them. I hate to buy them because they are so darn expensive!! I have found some lower priced ones on eBay though. I don't know where you are located, but here in MA/CT, it gets really cold and DD likes to have the sleeves at practice!

we are in NH and I keep trying to get her to wear the long sleeved ones especially when it gets cold but nope she wont' wear them any more.

e-bay has some some great buys but the selections aren't as large. DD never saw one she liked

My DD wears them in winter and so do most of the other girls she trains with. Some of the other girls at our gym wear sleeveless year-round, I guess they get quite warm while training hard. I guess it also depends on how cold it gets where you live and how cold it gets inside your gym.

one of the leotard companies in the UK (The Zone) have a few cap sleeved leos in their range - that strikes me as a good idea for the colder months - a bit more coverage but still breathable as they get warmer
3016.jpg

This one is £23 (about $36usd)

It's the girls' personal preferences usually. DD has a couple of long-sleeved and she wears them to practice sometimes now that it is cooler out. If you are looking to save money, look at used competition leos, on Craigslist or Ebay.

Also, does your gym ever sell used stuff? Or can you ask around the team? We scored the most awesome, velvety used long-sleeved GK leo a few weeks ago, and my daughter has another one that was a competition leo from several years ago.

My daughter gets chilly, so she's usually mostly in long sleeves from about December through April.

DDs gym does not care. She doesn't wear them anymore, she prefers the tank style. But when she was wearing them, I bought her a couple of the velour style ones at Wal Mart in the girls department. (they are for dance, ballet..ect...but work for gym too, as long as the dont have the skirt attached). Now when it is cold out, she just put on a pair of leggings under her leo. Guess she traded her arms for her legs..lol

^^ some girls at my gym where underarmer during the colder months with a tank leo and shorts/leggings. that way if they get hot they can just take it off and it is probably cheaper than buy a long sleeved leo. It also depends if your coach allows it,(since it is a shirt) our coaches do because they are tight.

Lots of great tips here! Thank you so much :)

We're in Florida, so it's almost never cold. But when it's cold, it feels REALLY cold to us. The gym didn't seem too cold to me, though. So finding one that won't be a waste of money sounds like the way to go.

Thanks again so much for the feedback :)

My daughter only wears tank leos but it is cold here in winter. Her coaches like the girls to layer...they start out practice in sweats and always socks for running/conditioning. As they warm up, they take off the sweats and some (like my daughter) still have on lycra leggings. She will leave her sweatshirt on until it's time for practice and by then she is generally warmer.

The coaches won't let them wear regular sweatpants during practice. Only lycra leggings. I think it's because they like to see their form on events. Not sure though.

Of course by the time practice is over, they're all warmed up and don't want anything on their legs and meanwhile tonight will likely be about 20 degrees when I pick her up!!

I personaly dont really like the long sleeve ones but I like the way they look so what I get is the quarter sleeve ones (the ones that only go to like the elbows) they are more comfortable than long sleeve ones.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back