WAG level 3 bars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sce

Proud Parent
My dd recently joined the level 3 team. She's been working on her pullover for years. For a long time she's been doing a pull-up pullover. The team coach is telling her not to do it that way now. She confused as to how to do a pullover without beginning with a pull-up. What is the requirement for the level 3 routine?

I want her to follow her coach's directions, I'm just trying to understand enough so I can help her know what her coach is asking for.

Half of our girls do a chin up pullover and the other half simultaneously pull up and over.
Maybe she is misunderstanding what coach is saying... maybe it is not "dont do the pull up" but rather "dont ....." something else that she is hearing as the pullover.
I would have her ask for a demonstration of what the coach wants as the coach talks through what the gymnast is doing.

Depends but my guess is if she does a chin up and then pauses there, swinging her legs, before going over, then the coach wants her to pull up and pull her legs over without pausing or extra swinging.

Reactions: sce
Thanks, raenndrops. Dd said that the coach had her watch another girl. Dd thought it was exactly like she does it. I did mention that maybe the other girl was pulling up and over more at the same time. I recommended that she ask the coach for clarification. She feel she can more easily keep her legs straight doing a pull-up pullover though.

First, this is not my daughter.. Just a YouTube video I found a while back. I hope it's okay to share this here since it was on YouTube (??). The bars is 2nd, but maybe the way this girl does it would work for your DD and her coach? It seems like a good balance of both ways to me. This girl got a 10 on bars (and very nearly everything else).

Not sure if it matters in regards to how the pullover is done, but that video is old level 3 and AAU, which does allow for some differences.

...... Dd thought it was exactly like she does it.....maybe the other girl was pulling up and over more at the same time....... She feel she can more easily keep her legs straight doing a pull-up pullover though.

You need to explain to her that the right way often feels wrong because it's a new sensation and timing. Just saying because it sounds like she already knows she needs to change the skill but doesn't want to because "her way" makes it easier to keep her legs straight.

Sure, maybe it's easier now, but it won't be at levels 5 through 7 if she continues to go it alone and do it her way.

You need to explain to her that the right way often feels wrong because it's a new sensation and timing. Just saying because it sounds like she already knows she needs to change the skill but doesn't want to because "her way" makes it easier to keep her legs straight.
It's not about "her way" as much as she's confused about what is the right way. First, many coaches have taught it as the pull-up pull-over that's why she does it that way. Now the team coach is asking for something different. She is having trouble understanding the difference between what she does and what the coach wants. As well, she is frustrated that for years she was told to do it this way and now she's told it's wrong.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what the pullover in the level 3 routine should look like, so I could explain it to her.

Here is a tutorial for the L3 Bar Routine... as someone said before, maybe she is swinging her body on the pull up before pulling over. but IDK.

Yeah we would have to see a video to say for sure. But it's not correct to pull up and wait in a chin hang. They need to pull up and over in a hollow.

It's not about "her way" as much as she's confused about what is the right way. First, many coaches have taught it as the pull-up pull-over that's why she does it that way. Now the team coach is asking for something different. She is having trouble understanding the difference between what she does and what the coach wants. As well, she is frustrated that for years she was told to do it this way and now she's told it's wrong.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what the pullover in the level 3 routine should look like, so I could explain it to her.

That's a reasonable frustration experienced by kids when they change coaches. They wonder who is right and when will people stop changing the way the game is played. She'll get used to the new coach and be off to the races in due time.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back