Parents Level 4 three-peat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
So my DD is 10 and about to compete at level 4 for a 3rd year. We switched gyms last year and she definitely saw improvements but her current gym requires 2 scores of 36 or higher to move to level 6 (they don’t compete level 5). She had a bunch of high 34s and 35s but no 36. She is solid on beam and floor but struggles to get above mid-8s on vault and bars.

She not frustrated with the repeat but I am worried this year will be it for her if she doesn’t move on. Thoughts? Is her gym just too competitive for her ability or is this score requirement normal?

That is actually a USAG policy at this point in time. If the gym competed level 5, she could do that, but in order to go from 4 to 6, USAG requires two scores of 36.0 or better.

Thank you for this info. Makes me feel a bit better. Howeve, It’s just so weird because I can name girls at her old gym that never have earned a 36 and they’ve moved up levels….and no level 5 either.

Thank you for this info. Makes me feel a bit better. Howeve, It’s just so weird because I can name girls at her old gym that never have earned a 36 and they’ve moved up levels….and no level 5 either.
It is a relatively new policy (2 years?), but before that they would have had to score out of level five by competing it one time and achieving a minimum score. I can't remember if it was 32 or 34, but definitely not 36.

Is excel an option at your gym; that may be a good direction to go if she can't get the scores after this year. It would allow her more flexibility to work around her trouble areas.

The requirements to get to Level 6 are either 2 scores AA at 36+ OR score a 32 in 1 level 5 meet (many do this during the summer). It is either/or vs the old system where everyone had to score out of L5. Now they just have a route for completely skipping L5 - streamlines it for girls that are ready and scoring high.

Have you asked about a score-out meet or is the gym dead-set on only moving up with 2 36s?

What was your reason for switching? Different gyms have different standards and coaching abilities. It sounds like your daughter has improved with the switch/time. but not enough to make the jump with a gym that has clear expectations.

Is excel an option at your gym; that may be a good direction to go if she can't get the scores after this year. It would allow her more flexibility to work around her trouble areas.
Yes, that is an option, but unfortunately, it would mean she would have to give up Dance because XCEL trains in the evening and right now, my kiddo trains gymnastics during the day. Fingers crossed she just out of level four so we don’t have to worry about it!

What was your reason for switching? Different gyms have different standards and coaching abilities. It sounds like your daughter has improved with the switch/time. but not enough to make the jump with a gym that has clear expectations.
We changed gyms because the old one just wasn’t at the same level as other area gyms… You’re right and I’m trying to be patient with her rate of improvement because I know it’s going to take some time to catch her up

Well, look at it this way - if she had been at this gym she’s at now the first year of 4, she probably would have been a 3 instead because of their higher standards. So really, this is only a second year of 4.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Such a cool transition! 🤩

2024 Gymnastics For All GymFest

Back