Level up for DS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 8 yr old son competed level 4 this past year. He received a 82 AA at state and hit the podium at all but 2 meets, but still placed. He was first on high bar 3 times. The level 4 team consisted of 5 boys. Only 2 of the boys (including my DS) had the scores to place. They never received a team trophy due to only having 2 boys with high scores. It is now time to evaluate the boys to move up to level 5. The coach is concerned that the boys will not have a team if he only moves up these 2 to level 5. He has suggested they stay in level 4 another year and wants to add new level 4's so they will have a team. My concern is that he is holding my DS back because of the team situation when in reality they will be in the same boat as this past year. The only skill DS does not have is his circles. I have rented a mushroom for the house this summer and purchased parallettes for him to practice his handstands. I know he will have the skills before the next season. The coach has said he will not separate these 2 boys, but after speaking to the other mom she tells me her son is afraid of the level 5 routines. So I am going to discuss this with the coach , but is there any truth to the team concern? DS had never been a part of a strong team and doesn't really know what he is missing. I want to push for him to be moved to level 5 and not spend 2 years as a level 4. Any thoughts?

he's 8. no rush. and it won't be holding him back as long as he is learning things other than the level 4&5 comp skills.:)

I guess I need to discuss with the coach about what he is going to do to keep him from being bored. If he is working on bonuses and level 5 skills too, it might be ok. I might add that the coach gave them an AA goal to reach to level up and he did that at state. The coach has made reference several times of moving him up and now because of the team situation is changing his mind. DS worked hard to reach that goal and I don't want him to be disappointed. Thanks for your input.

maybe the coach spoke to soon. sometimes they do that. and the new changes takes place for the boys this fall season. it's probably best to keep him right where he is. and avoid language like "bonuses" etc; it's all sequential gymnastics and that which must be learned and learned correctly over a long course of time. as long as he is learning and having fun be happy. what level they compete is a competitive destination and not indicative of their whole gymnastics package. understand? it's a LONG ROAD for a boy doing gymnastics.:)

In our region, the level 4 boys who are on the podium at meets are usually scoring 88-90+ AA. Our coach does not usually move a boy up to level 5 before they are scoring at least high 14's on each event and have had at least 2 meets with scores of 88+ for AA.
It sounds like your son still has some goals to meet in level 4 and he should not be bored if he competed level 4 for one more year. The new routines should help keep it interesting for him as well.

Agreed -- as long as the uptraining is happening, it should be fine. There's a gym near us that has the boys do two years at L4 no matter what. I'm pretty sure one of their gymnasts who won or came in second in his age group at states for L4 this year was fairly high up on the podium last year.

I suspect that a lot of coaches will be making these decisions after the new routines come out. We think there's a good chance our little guy will move up, but it's all good. If he doesn't, he should be able to rock L4 next year, and it's not like his coach is going to stop teaching him elbow uprises and kips and P bar handstands. (Though I would be less than enthusiastic about watching another entire year of straight jump vaults, oy!)

Congratulations to your son on what sounds like a really good year of competition. It's so hard for those little guys to get the nice, tight swings on high bar with their legs straight and together. He must have some very good swinging skills.

My ds just did a 3rd year of level 5. We had a tough time deciding what to do with him, but in the end, it was a great decision for him. He uptrained and did future stars stuff while perfecting the basics. Level4 and 5 are really about all those basics! They will need them for the rest of their levels. He is moving to 6 this year, but has a goal of moving to 7. We are just sitting back and letting things happen. His favorite thing to say....as long as I am doing gymnastics, I don't care what level I am!

My ds just did a 3rd year of level 5. We had a tough time deciding what to do with him, but in the end, it was a great decision for him. He uptrained and did future stars stuff while perfecting the basics. Level4 and 5 are really about all those basics! They will need them for the rest of their levels. He is moving to 6 this year, but has a goal of moving to 7. We are just sitting back and letting things happen. His favorite thing to say....as long as I am doing gymnastics, I don't care what level I am!

precisely!!!!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back