Parents Local gym closed abruptly

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
On Tuesday, a gym in our area sent an email out to all gym parents notifying them that the gym was closing its doors immediately. They were closed for their annual "no gym week" and they just announced they would not be re-opening. It was a family run business and they had some personal things happen which led them to no longer being able to afford running a business. I guess they did have someone who was going to buy the business, but it fell through leading them to need to close immediately. I can't imagine what the team kids and parents must be going through right now. So close to meet season it's going to be hard to find new gyms that will take them. If any of you parents are on here, just know you're in my thoughts, and I hope your gymnasts are able to find a new home soon. :(

Wow, that's sad. I hope the families didn't lose out on money too.

I used to belong to a family owned gym. Every day the owner would smile and say hello. One day I show up and there's a lock on the door and a hand written "CLOSED". I asked the shops that were nearby if they knew what had happened (were they just closed for the day?) They said that all day people other gym members had been asking the same question and they didn't know anything. They owners/employees never showed up again.

I had payed my annual dues a month earlier and I lost out on it. This was many years ago (when gym memberships weren't too expense) and although at the time I was upset it was nothing like the costs someone might pay on a gymnastics team.

On Tuesday, a gym in our area sent an email out to all gym parents notifying them that the gym was closing its doors immediately. They were closed for their annual "no gym week" and they just announced they would not be re-opening. It was a family run business and they had some personal things happen which led them to no longer being able to afford running a business. I guess they did have someone who was going to buy the business, but it fell through leading them to need to close immediately. I can't imagine what the team kids and parents must be going through right now. So close to meet season it's going to be hard to find new gyms that will take them. If any of you parents are on here, just know you're in my thoughts, and I hope your gymnasts are able to find a new home soon. :(

Did they have a team program? We went through this recently and it's particularly hard for the upper level gymnasts to get their groove back at a new gym. Not to mention the trauma of not being with their old teammates and the financial loss all around. What will their coaches do?

Wow, that's sad. I hope the families didn't lose out on money too.

I used to belong to a family owned gym. Every day the owner would smile and say hello. One day I show up and there's a lock on the door and a hand written "CLOSED". I asked the shops that were nearby if they knew what had happened (were they just closed for the day?) They said that all day people other gym members had been asking the same question and they didn't know anything. They owners/employees never showed up again.

I had payed my annual dues a month earlier and I lost out on it. This was many years ago (when gym memberships weren't too expense) and although at the time I was upset it was nothing like the costs someone might pay on a gymnastics team.
All prepayed fees (whether it be tuition, coaches fees, etc.) for both team and rec will be refunded they said.
But I wonder what they're doing about any kids who just bought warm ups, Leo's etc.

Did they have a team program? We went through this recently and it's particularly hard for the upper level gymnasts to get their groove back at a new gym. Not to mention the trauma of not being with their old teammates and the financial loss all around. What will their coaches do?
Yes there is a team program. Luckily this area has TONS of gyms, the hard part is finding a gym that will let kids on the team this late in the year, many teams are alrThe coaches just have to find other gyms too I guess. On the FB page some people were commenting that the employees found out via the Facebook post, they weren't even warned :(
So sad.

That's terrible for everyone. That happened at one of my DDs former gyms and it threw everyone for a loop. Luckily the team girls mostly rebounded ok, but the rec families were lost and never got their money back for a whole session. For the team girls, many were absorbed into other local teams with open arms, and a few followed the coach to a new gym, where they rented time/ space.

How sad! Our gym is family owned and my DD would be beyond devastated if they just up and closed, she's been at this gym since she was 3. I admit that I would be devastated as well, I couldn't imagine being at any other gym or with any other coaches or teammates.

I know what gym you are taking about. The team kids especially must be devastated :(
I really hope gyms local to that area are able to find some compassion and space for the misplaced team girls. I'm sure they feel like their world has dropped from under them.

That's so awful. A cheer gym in our town did that recently. Parents had already paid a year's worth of competition fees. They didn't get the money back. Apparently that money was being used to keep the lights on, instead of covering fees. :mad: Obviously that didn't last.

I would hope that other local gyms would absorb the team girls with a warm welcome. It's not their fault.

That's so awful. A cheer gym in our town did that recently. Parents had already paid a year's worth of competition fees. They didn't get the money back. Apparently that money was being used to keep the lights on, instead of covering fees. :mad: Obviously that didn't last.

I would hope that other local gyms would absorb the team girls with a warm welcome. It's not their fault.
I hope so too! I know of one family from that gym, so I'm asking DDs gym today if it would be ok if I referred them there, from what I've heard, our gym takes girls all year, so here's to hoping!

We had that happen here back when dd was in preschool rec. Fortunately for us, her coach warned us she suspected the gym was not going to last and we had already moved. It was devastating for girls on team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back