Lost Crashdive - confused

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Today at training I asked somebody to throw a mat under me for crashdive barani ballout. My coach cut in and said that she wanted to see a tucked non-twisting ballout first. Fine. I went up, and then I thought 'crap, how do you actually DO a crashdive?!' I got round but it wasn't pretty. I tried again, same thing happened. Then I started shaking, and my teeth started chattering in the boiling hot gym (which has happened to me on a couple of occasions, but when I had almost killed myself doing some skill or another and was REALLY scared) I didn't consciously feel scared, I just had all of these physical signs.

I did a couple of crash dives directly into the big mat. I was still really wobbly but the Crashdive was better. Couldn't do it off the mat. Didn't get to to my BOB's (which have been going well recently). The rest of the training session pretty much went down the pan and all of my skills looked terrible.

Im so confused! It took me over a year to get my Crashdive feeling comfortable. I LIKE this skill now. I LOVE ballout, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to do them again any time soon.

I have no idea what to do next. :(

The two drills I can think of are high front drops with plenty of stretch (pretty similar take-off after all) and the drill I was talking about to Geoffrey Taucer on the other thread about 3/4 fronts where you put your hands on the bed, do a big bunny hop and kick your heels to handstand, see the cross, then duck under to your back.

If you feel wobbly putting them in the bed do exactly what you'd advise anyone you were coaching to do. Start small and gradually build up the height.

You could also spend some time outside of training on visualisation because you can do 3/4 fronts (your profile pic proves it) so you know how it is supposed to feel and what you are supposed to see.

Another thing that might work is to find someone with a lovely front drop and teach them to do a 3/4 front. Nothing like teaching a skill for making you really think about how it works.

If none of that helps you could try hypnosis! Worked for Andy Coulter apparently.

I can relate to the fear thing. I lose skills all the time for no reason most of the time. I did a BACK 3/4 to my knees once and for some stupid reason lost my FRONT 3/4 it was like I felt like I couldn't stop rotation at the 3/4 point and if I did I would die. (I tend to be in my head a bit too much for this sport) I also think if you don't do skills for a while especially as an adult you lose them fairly easy so one thing I have done is make myself do 2 of every skill I know at every practice regardless of if it's in my routine or not. Then I do 5-10 of the "problem skills" for me that is usually twisting. Then I go on to connections, pit work, routines or skills that I need to break down or need a mat for. I'm sure it will come back to you. I know my fear issues come and go on different skills.

@mimi my coach didn't have much of an opinion as to what I should do (my coaching/training situation is a bit strange, I compete for 2 clubs and train in 4 different centres, and I'm a coach myself, which often means that I'm left to my own devices...) she made me do a few, and when they were all the same, she told me to take a break form them for that day.

The progressions are all there, I can go back and do donkey kicks and front landings all day long haha! They were actually better yesterday but I still feel a bit nervous walking up to them.

I don't think it helped that I went to open gym 2 days after this first happened where an acro coach assured me he could mat a 3/4, BOB for me. My Crashdive was short of rotation, he didn't mat it, I pulled it round ok and went for the ballout, then he threw the mat AT me! That freaked me out quite a lot.

Anxiety is reducing though, @aerialriver I hear you about the overthinking thing!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back