WAG Lots of acro skills in beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It seems like the optional girls from my old gym, from what I've seen, do a lot of extra acro on beam in level 7......for example, one girl in addition to her series and flight also did a front walkover, another girl did a cartwheel-roundoff which fulfills the series and flight but then also did a back handspring....does anyone have an opinion on this or know other coaches who do this to their gymnasts and why they might do it? By the way, it's not to get an extra b skill because they also have lots of b dance in their routines.

The girls at our gym uptrain year round and put their highest allowable skills in their routines, as long as they are doing them with enough competence to compete them. The nice thing about optionals is that you can put in a variety of skills to suit your talents and current skill level.

My daughter has an extra cartwheel in her level 7 beam routine because her coaches said she needs a forward moving element. Her flight/connection/dismount is bhs/back walkover/back tuck. Sometimes she feels like she won't get credit for her connection coming out of the bhs, so she stops, dances forwarded and changes her connection to back walkover/back walkover/back tuck dismount. Since she does everything backwards, her coaches had her add the cartwheel for a forward element. Not sure if this is really a required element in the routine (i.e. a forward moving skill) or if it's just one of their own requirements, but that may be one of the reasons.

I'm only a parent but my motto is get on, do your required skills and get off... The more you have the greater chance for falls and deductions.

I'm only a parent but my motto is get on, do your required skills and get off... The more you have the greater chance for falls and deductions.

LOL, so true! I was always told that level 7 is all about KISS. My dd's L7 beam routine was very short since she did her series into the dismount. I did not think you needed a forward or sideways element until L8, but could be wrong. My dd did a press into tick tock, which probably served the same purpose as a front walkover.

I totally agree with get on, get off as quick as you can. It would be great if DD didn't need a forward element, but we are lucky that her one handed cartwheel its pretty solid.

Sent from my MB855 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I don't think dd has a forward skill. oh, wait... she has a cartwheel bt of beam. But I still don't think it's required in 7 because a teammate has no forward skill and starts with 10 sv. I'm not even sure it's required in 8 but I think it is a balance of skills deduction in 8. Judges and coaches?

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I know in high school gym (which is based on USAG) there can be a deduction for not showing skills in multiple directions, sort of like the artistry deduction the judge can choose to take "up to" a certain amount based on the judge's discretion. So while not a requirement, it's a place where a judge can choose to take a small deduction if they feel like it. In high school it falls under "spacing/direction" and a judge can take up to .1 for not showing acro skills in at least 2 directions on beam(front, back, or side). Though I'm not sure what the specifics are in USAG, but I think it does start around level 8ish.

I have another point of view. My daughter only competes in invitationals due to her age, but her beam routine has more skills in it than required. Her bars is holding her back level wise, so this gives her the experience competing additional/more advanced skills than the minimum for her level. In Canada, L7 requires both front and back acro skills.

I think there's value in going beyond the basic requirements, as long as there's a good chance to hit routines in competition.....even if it takes till the last few meets of the season. Certainly there's kids who'd like to do just the minimum..... and that's ok, but it'll make a transition to L8 more difficult.

I have another point of view. My daughter only competes in invitationals due to her age, but her beam routine has more skills in it than required. Her bars is holding her back level wise, so this gives her the experience competing additional/more advanced skills than the minimum for her level. In Canada, L7 requires both front and back acro skills.

I agree. Dd does more than she needs to in her floor routine because she likes to do the added skills and it is preparing her for L8. I don't know, beam just seems different to me... Maybe because dd struggles with confidence on it more than the other events so "on and off" works best for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back