Parents Lower level training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Kristen8789

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My daughter, 7, just started gymnastics at the end of April of this year. The gym she goes to starts everybody out in recreational 1. She gained all the skills required to move up to recreational 2 at the end of August. She has had 4 classes in rec. 2 and they don't seem to be working much on any new skills, or on some of the old skills. They haven't done back hip circles at all in 3 weeks. They never do pull overs. It seems like most of the bars work they have done for the last 3 weeks has been conditioning. The last skill she needed to move to rec 2 was a bridge kickover, with that being her newest skill she isn't fully consistent. They have worked on kickovers once in the last 4 weeks. There is only one other kid in her class but it seems like they stand around waiting on their coach a lot to tell them what they are supposed to be doing. I have very little experience in the gymnastics world, but my daughters goal is definitely to compete eventually and I'm worried at this rate she is going to lose skills she already learned. A lot of the coaches in the lower level classes seem to be teenagers. Would you contact the head coach, which is the owner at our gym, at this point to state your concerns? I don't want to come off as complaining, nor do I want to get the coach in trouble, so I'm just not sure what to do.

Is your gym more focused towards competitive gymnastics? My gym is and usually we end up kicking out the rec kids from bars and beam. That may be why. Are the coaches experienced, or are they some high school students?

Pro tip, if u happen to be interested in competitive gymnastics, let the gym know. After another year or two, she will probably be invited to start competing. This is one of my biggest regrets. We thought we were supposed to wait to get invited. I ended up losing 3 years because I didn’t show any interest into comp gymnastics.
However if you don’t seem to see any progress, I would leave and find a gym that would set your daughter up for success.

I would say they are definitely more focused on the team kids. Some of them are just highschool kids, now if they are required to have have a gymnastics background I can't say for sure. We really never came across this problem in rec 1, even with the high school kid coaches. The rec kids actually have their own set of bars and beams so it's not that they don't have time. The gym we are at seems to be the best in our area. She never had any gymnastics experience but has gained so many skills in 4 months so I just worry she will lose them with this new rec 2 coach. Thanks for taking the time to respond! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Best Of All Time: Layout Jaeger

UPDATE: The Liukin Club

Back