Parents Lvl 3s still missing major skills for first meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
I have a 9yr old Lvl 3 with her first meet coming up next weekend and I’m wondering if it’s typical for kids to be unable to do multiple big skills at the meets.

She and the other four girls on her team are all missing major skills. None can do back handspring for floor (working on it on trampoline). All need heavy spot to land the 2nd back hip circle on bars. Beam dismounts are iffy.

They did an intersquad meet and the other Lvl 3 team ALL had these skills. Our coach said those girls are on their 2nd year of Lvl 3, whereas our girls are all 1st year Lvl 3. I don’t want to question our coach, but I am worried they are setting themselves up to do really poorly at the meet and I’m wondering if this slow progression is normal.

For context, they are all 8-10 yr old and have progressed at the same gym, Lvl 2 last year. Last year our daughter got 33-34.8 overall, and her team overall was consistently one of the lower scoring. They have practice twice a week 3 hrs each, our daughter does a lot of conditioning at home, and she’s had some private lessons. Our gym is NOT the most serious— they don’t practice as much as some other gyms, and it’s a very positive coaching culture (aka no one screaming at them or forcing them into splits), with a fairly inexperienced coach. But I wonder if it could be a *little* more serious, you know? It feels like we are putting in A LOT of work & time, and I’m surprised they are still so far from some of these skills. Is this normal? Will it all just “click” at some point? I have no gymnastics experience so this is still fairly new to us. Thank you!

In the low levels, no this is not normal. Sometimes with level 9s or 10s, you'll see first year athletes compete with lower start values on an event or two, but in level 3, this is very unusual, even for early in the season. Yes, the hours are on the lower end, but we had Xcel kids doing 5 hours a week and still getting the same skills in decent time. Without a back handspring or a back hip circle there or extremely close by the end of the summer training, those girls would not be competing level 3 if it were up to me.

33s and 34s in level 2 is also not a great track record for a gym. That level is honestly really easy and the routines aren't hard - very few opportunities for text errors, etc. I coached level 2 for several years and the lower scoring girls on our teams were 35s-36s. Kids with strong basics, which are essential moving forward, easily score a 9 average.

It doesn't sound like a gym that I would personally choose based on what you've shared, but depending on what you're looking for from the sport, I could see reasons why it might work for your family.

I don't think is common. There could be maybe one girl struggling to get one skill here and there or having some mistakes. But if it is all of them lacking on the same areas it's probably a coaching issue. I don't think it's the not screaming nor forcing, it's probably technical or time management/organization of the practices. Not sure if the gym is still new and thus most coaches are inexperienced and they are learning along with the girls (I've been there like a couple of decades ago). Does the gym have higher levels? Or they are growing with this group and maybe a couple of higher level groups?

Does you gym usually have girls repeat years? or are they more likely to have them move up to levels if they can get 10.0 SV in their previous level, or move them to xcel?

I don't think is common. There could be maybe one girl struggling to get one skill here and there or having some mistakes. But if it is all of them lacking on the same areas it's probably a coaching issue. I don't think it's the not screaming nor forcing, it's probably technical or time management/organization of the practices. Not sure if the gym is still new and thus most coaches are inexperienced and they are learning along with the girls (I've been there like a couple of decades ago). Does the gym have higher levels? Or they are growing with this group and maybe a couple of higher level groups?
Thanks for the feedback, yes the gym is new to having a competitive team, so it does feel like the coach along with the girls. My daughter’s is the first competitive group, so right now her level is the highest.

The time management has been a concern, sometimes I’m not sure they’re really using all of the time as productively as they could. Or whether the coach has an experienced enough eye to identify what the problems are.

I think we may need to find a new gym if she wants to keep going after this year. :/

Does you gym usually have girls repeat years? or are they more likely to have them move up to levels if they can get 10.0 SV in their previous level, or move them to xcel?
They had just restarted the competitive program (after many years not having one) so right now we are the highest level they offer. The coach is making it sound like most would need to repeat Lvl 3, and is saying that is quite common. I question this a bit because many level 3 girls at other gyms are you get and seem to progress quickly to Lvl 4.

Thank you for confirming this is not normal (as much as I don’t want the headache of switching to a new gym next year)

I think we may need to find a new gym if she wants to keep going after this year. :/
I usually believe you should finish what you start - but the situation is a little different as she doesn't have the skills required for the level. If she is serious about this and wants more and to continue on in the sport - I would be looking to move on asap if at all possible as it sounds like practice is not productive and competing poorly doesn't build confidence.

This may not be possible due to logistics and gyms not taking kids at this point in the season. You may find a new gym will place your child in a lower level or different program such as Xcel- but as it stands it appears your family expectations/goals do not align with this gym.

Definitely not typical. I personally would not waste time on a team like that. I've seen teams have one or two kids who may need a spot on a bhs for the first meet or two but I've never seen an entire team lacking main skills like that.

I would start looking for a new gym ASAP. Like a previous poster had stated, those scores at level 2 are really low, and indicative of a coaching issue. At most gyms, a gymnast wouldn't even be promoted to level 3 with those scores, so it's not surprising that they don't have their L3 skills. Continuing at this gym is only going to put her further behind, and honestly it sounds like it's not going to be an enjoyable experience for them as far as meets go.
Honestly, even switching to Bronze at a quality gym would be better for her. It doesn't sound to me like a situation where it will just "click" all of a sudden.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back