Parents May the gymnastics gods help this poor dance mom!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
At our annual extravaganza, we have a recital for the rec girls, an in house meet for our developmental teams, and an exhibition by our team girls. We make a big deal of it with ordering special leos for each group, real medals and trophies, and a big choreographed dance number for the team in addition to displaying some of the routines.

We have a mom who makes no secret of her lack of respect for our sport and is quite open about using gymnastics only as an enhancement for her daughter's dance career. So I guess I should not have been surprised when her daughter takes the floor in her new gymnastics leotard, fancy hair, stage make up, and..... wait for it............... the matching scrunchie placed about two inches above her right knee.

I really try to be a nice person. Seriously I do. And I have no bad feelings toward this poor child at all. But I still must confess that I lost it. I seriously lost it. As in had to hide behind my program so as not to embarrass myself and owe this poor woman an apology at a later date.

I am this woman's complete opposite. Love gym hate dance, but will admit ballet helps with goods lines etc etc. my wife loves dance but will admit our DD's body type is that of a gymnast. She does very well at both dance and gym, but time requirements coming up for both is going to force the issue for her. Luckily for me, DD also thinks she is a better gymnast than dancer. If I has in your situation I would ignore her, or tell her gymnastics leaps and turns are a completely different thing than a dancers and probably ruining her form! Lol

Why would you do that? Is that a "thing" in dance?

She wouldn't have been allowed past the door in our gym unless she took her makeup off (gets on the mats so we have a no make up/fake tan policy) and did her hair the same way as everyone else..

If I has in your situation I would ignore her, or tell her gymnastics leaps and turns are a completely different thing than a dancers and probably ruining her form! Lol

Nah....she's just on a different path to happiness than I am. It's all good..... But that does't mean I can't see some humor coming from her path!

Why would you do that? Is that a "thing" in dance?

She wouldn't have been allowed past the door in our gym unless she took her makeup off (gets on the mats so we have a no make up/fake tan policy) and did her hair the same way as everyone else..

I have several nieces in dance and I frequently see a garter type thing on their arm and occasionally on their legs so I'm guessing it's a dance thing.

As for the make up, no team member would DARE come to any official appearance like that. But the recital is supposed to be fun for the non-comp kids....their day to shine so our owner doesn't get all hard core on them. They come in all sorts of hair styles, some of the moms spring for pedicures to match the leos, etc. It's a big deal for the rec kids and they have lots of fun. That's really the whole point for them.

But yeah, if a team member tried to come into the gym like that.....woo mama.

Dance mom here, with a gymnast. My child have never wore a garter and anything of a sorts on her leg. She knows exactly what a scrunchie is and does wear them to dance, in her hair! My dd is a new level 5, and long term, gymnastics is not her dream, dance is. It is not a negative thing to use gymnastics as a means to improve dance, which is what we are doing. Our gym knows what my dd dream is, they can see it in her, but they want to to continue gymnastics as long as possible. She contributes to the team, scoring well into the 37s at most of her meets and she is a wonderful teammate, because she doesn't care what she scores and she is not competitive with her teammates. She is as excited for them to win. The gym is very supportive of my dd and works with her schedule. I am sorry that mom, is so arrogant, but I wanted to say the majority of dance moms out there are nothing like that.

I am sorry that mom, is so arrogant, but I wanted to say the majority of dance moms out there are nothing like that.

My sister is a dance mom and she is nothing like this mom so you don't have to defend dance moms to me. I suspect this mom would be the way she is no matter what activity her child(ren) chose. Had her DD been a gymnast first and foremost, I'd have a CGM story instead! I kind of imagine her being one of those parents who yell coaching advice at their child at ever soccer, baseball, and basketball game. Some people are just "like that" regardless of the activity their child is participating in.

I have 3 daughters and surprisingly never been in the world of dance. My oldest was a softball player, my second oldest was very artsy so she painted, sewed etc, now I have a gymnast. Anyways.. I asked a friend of mine who once was a dance mom and she said depending on how old the girl was little dancers use that technique to identify their left from right or strong leg from weak leg.
Just a thought, may be wrong, maybe she was trying to start a fashion trend.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back