McKayla (Air) Maroney...16.233...Did They Deduct The Landing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
What an awesome vault by McKayla Maroney in the team finals!

She landed...raised up on her toes and then had to step...so she stepped into the salute. Do you think they deducted the landing?

i saw the slight adjust on the landing too but I also thought she looked off centered on the spring board then the table. She seemed to fix it because she landed pretty much centered.

is this a "safe" (no spoiler) thread to read/post? I successfully avoided the internet completely today so I could be surprised watching it since I couldn't watch earlier.

I didn't want to open the other team finals post b/c it said spoiler alert, but wanted to be able to read/talk about it as we see it tonight.

is this a "safe" (no spoiler) thread to read/post? I successfully avoided the internet completely today so I could be surprised watching it since I couldn't watch earlier.

Yes...she already vaulted "live" and "on TV".

I think she was deducted for being off center on landing, both feet where completely on one side of the center stripe. Though I don't know the fig code well enough to know exact deduction number. Though I have to say, that vault was certainly the closest thing I have seen to a "10" in a vault that difficult and I can't remember ever seeing a 9.7 plus execution score on an event in this code. Amazing vault, well deserved score.

I was wondering if they'd count that landing as a stick or not. She was obviously just a tiny bit off balance, although she covered it well. Maybe they took a tenth?

It was an amazing vault though, the best I've ever seen her, or anyone, do.

I haven't seen it yet, but the international judges have to leave room for a completely stuck landing. They consider body extension at the moment the feet touch the floor, the posture used to establish control, and any body wave action front to back and side to side. To avoid any deduction it petty much has to look like the stuck landings we gymnasts have in our dreams.....and if your name is dunno the stick would be at the end of a quad/quad.........:D

Ok, I just watched it! Mc Air got ripped! I watched for every fault listed in my post in super slow mo, and I saw it as a 16.4 with room for a .05 swing either way. So I guess I could see a judge throwing a 16.35, but only if she was a cranky throwback to the '64 games re-living her totally stuck, motionless 3 second hold landing, after completing a cutting edge Yama****a vault......for the GOLD.

Oh yeah!! Now I got it! There must have been two judges on the panel who figured she cheated with some indiscernable, but still deductible hip flexion during her salto initiation, and two other judges that figured it was a 3/2 twist because it was executed so well, and protested the 16.5 start value by knocking her an extra .2 in execution deductions......

It is hard to see but McKayla often has leg separation after taking off board before she hits the table. However her landings are often fantastic and her scores at worlds last year (especially prelims) were a joke. I was surprised (and pleased) that the FIG judges actually allowed themselves to hand out the scores they did for McKayla's vaults. If you want to rip on the judges have a look at Komova's vault and compare it to Gabby and Jordyn's efforts.

If you want to rip on the judges have a look at Komova's vault and compare it to Gabby and Jordyn's efforts.

I thought the same thing. There's no way the scores should have been that close. Maroney though - wow oh wow. They should give bonus points for some of the things she does on that vault.

It is hard to see but McKayla often has leg separation after taking off board before she hits the table. However her landings are often fantastic and her scores at worlds last year (especially prelims) were a joke. I was surprised (and pleased) that the FIG judges actually allowed themselves to hand out the scores they did for McKayla's vaults. If you want to rip on the judges have a look at Komova's vault and compare it to Gabby and Jordyn's efforts.

The big "K" got gifted bigger than Paris Hilton on her 16th birthday.

Thanks for the 411 on McKayla's leg separation, but I don't think it's big enough to show in real time from the judges vantage point. Hey, do you think they watch the super-slo-mo replay shot from the end of the landing area.......on a secret, well hidden monitor. That could explain the scores taking forever to post.

Thanks for the 411 on McKayla's leg separation, but I don't think it's big enough to show in real time from the judges vantage point. Hey, do you think they watch the super-slo-mo replay shot from the end of the landing area.......on a secret, well hidden monitor. That could explain the scores taking forever to post.

Yeah, there's no way they saw that slight separation in real time from the side. It's only visible in super slow mo from the back. That vault was a 16.4 AT LEAST. Oh well, in our hearts and minds. But that's the closest an Amanar's gonna get to perfect.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back