Medals or Ribbons at Competitions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jago

Proud Parent
A recent discussion arose at our gym this week, centered around the awards given at compulsory meets.

Does the Meet Director make the decision whether to give medals or ribbons to the girls that place or are there specific guidelines dictated by the type of meet (invitational, preliminary, Judges Cup etc.)?

Thanks!

I don't think there's a one size fits all answer. USAG will have one set of requirements and other governing organizations will have their own. If you're USAG, I think a good place to start would be your state USAG website. In Virginia, the posted Team Handbook has very specific instructions on ribbons for Judges Cup, Sectionals and State Meets (including where to buy from). I've found invitationals to vary greatly from # of awards (i.e., is it 50% of an age group), types of awards (medals, trophies, ribbons), to age groups (i.e., 6 - 8 yr old v. 8 1/2 yr olds), rules (international rules v. US), et al. I believe there's a requirement to give placement ribbons at all level 4 and 5 meets (i.e., blue ribbon for 9.0 and above, red for 8.0, etc.), but I'm not sure if that's a state or USAG rule.

I use to help with getting the medals ready at our old gym when they hosted meets and I asked the owner the same question. I was told there are actually rules as to what the minimum types of awards they must give out and there is some type of formula to determine the minimum amount of awards in each group to give out (depends on number of participants).

If you are USAG - So depending on the type of meet (local qualifyer, Invitational, sectional, states, etc) will determine what type of award needs to be given (ribbons only, ribbons and medals, ribbons, medals and trophies, etc)

I was also told that how much they can charge for a meet is regulated depending on the type of meet and the location of the meet.

Invitational must give some type of gymnast gifts with a specific minimum dollar value as well. That's why invitational always have those goodie bags or something for the gymnasts.

There are USAG rules for a minimal start point but the states I believe can add to that.

I was amazed with all the rules to organize the meet and I then knew why my gym never did more than a local qualifyer - they were too cheap to give out more than ribbons.

Thank you vagymmomma and cher062 for the information.

We are USAG and I have bookmarked the info on the USAG site, but haven't the time to thoroughly read it yet. Hopefully I can this weekend!

It would be so much fun to help organize a meet! Maybe one day!

Thank you vagymmomma and cher062 for the information.

We are USAG and I have bookmarked the info on the USAG site, but haven't the time to thoroughly read it yet. Hopefully I can this weekend!

It would be so much fun to help organize a meet! Maybe one day!

It's easy I showed up and did what ever the owner told me to do LOL

By the way, what is the cost difference between a ribbon and a medal? Generally speaking, as I'm sure that would vary by area.

Thanks again:D

I think the USAG info is just guidelines for how many placements to give (ex. 50% of an age group). As far as what to give though, I think that is largely up to the host gym and their budget.
I think some things to take into consideration would be the size of the meet (small local meet vs. bigger invitational), levels competing, and the "look" you are going for at the meet. For a small local meet, I think ribbons are generally fine at all levels. Levels 4-5 get achievement ribbons anyway, when I was competing it was pretty rare to go beyond that. If it's a bigger invitational, I think medals are the norm, just because generally they involve hefty meet fees and travel time for the competitors and parents want to see that money going towards something tangible for their kids. If the goal is to have teams return to the event year after year or to expand in size over time, quality of awards is one factor sometimes taken into account by coaches. But if finances are tight, I've seen meets do medals for the top 3 and ribbons for the rest of the placements.
As far as price, ribbons are much cheaper, but medals aren't too incredibly pricey if you go for something simple. If you were thinking custom medals, that could cost a little more.
Here is a website with medals and ribbons for gymnastics to give you some idea of the cost (hope this is okay to post!)
Gymnastics Trophies | Gymnastics Trophy & Awards | Gymnastics Trophies & Medals

If you're talking about little local meets, then sometimes it simply comes down to what the gym can afford--ribbons are certainly less expensive than medals.
In our area for L4/5 the state requires all the girls to get participation ribbons for each event---different colors based on score. Then there are awards for AA and may/may not be awards for individual events.

At invitationals you can do what you want. At state meets, sectionals etc you have to follow the rules of the governing body.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back