Meet Situation, what would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys, so a couple weeks ago the head girls team coach let us know that one of our meets which was only a hour away was cancelled. As a result, she found another meet.... except it's 4 and a half hours away. It's also 2 weeks before states. And yesterday, we figured out the meet is at 8:20 in the morning. And my parents said no hotel because it's not in our budget. I REALLY want to do, as well as my coaches, because they say "I'm the rock of the team." I would like to get your guys' point of view on what you would do, etc. Thanks in advance! :confused:

Could you travel with a teammate's family? If other girls are going, they obviously have some way of getting there, whether it's leaving at 4 am or heading up the night before. If that's the case, I imagine at least one person would have room for 1 more in their car. I would ask around and see if anyone else would be willing to help out, there's no harm in trying.
Depending on how well you/your parents know your coaches, you might also be able to get a ride with them. Good luck and I hope it works out!

Gymnastics is very expensive and you really need to glad you have been able to do all your other meets. You can't always get your own way and I know if it were my DD and we could afford it we would go but right now I would tell my DD no too for the same reason.

Yup try to tag along with another family in your session. They may be glad of the help with hotel and gas and your parents might OK that level of expense.

We do quite a few meets that the parents can't get to our can't afford a hotel. We are always bringing girls with us. We rarely go to a meet that we don't have somebody extra with us. Ask your parents if you can ride with somebody else. If they say it's OK, maybe your coach can check to see who has extra space

Depending on how well you/your parents know your coaches, you might also be able to get a ride with them. Good luck and I hope it works out!

Due to insurance reasons, they may want to check before any of the gymnasts ride with the coach. At our gym, the gymnasts can't ride with the coach because the gym would be liable if anything happened. Usually the coach rides with us...helps keep the cost down, plus it's fun for DD to drive the coach crazy all the way to the meet

If you do go with someone else make sure they have a copy of your medical card and that your parents write a letter for these parents that says that the parents you go with are your guardian for the time you are with them and have full auathority to make medical decisions until parents can be reached too.

Hey guys, so a couple weeks ago the head girls team coach let us know that one of our meets which was only a hour away was cancelled. As a result, she found another meet.... except it's 4 and a half hours away. It's also 2 weeks before states. And yesterday, we figured out the meet is at 8:20 in the morning. And my parents said no hotel because it's not in our budget. I REALLY want to do, as well as my coaches, because they say "I'm the rock of the team." I would like to get your guys' point of view on what you would do, etc. Thanks in advance! :confused:

Do what your parents say!! Of course discuss with them your desire to compete but obey them. If money is truly the only issue figure out a way to make the money to cover the hotel AND GAS, (4.5 hours drive is going to cost @ $80 round trip in gas money) and the meals you will have to eat out. Baby sit, mow yards, walk dogs, pet sit and figure out a way to help.

$100 for a hotel, $80 for gas and $30 -$40 for meals for two an extra $200 might not be in the budget. Just obey your parents.

Tough call. Changes like that are a real problem, but that's another thread entirely...

Best of luck however it goes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back