Parents Meet tomorrow... groups all jumbled up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Reaction score
DD has a meet tomorrow... probably the biggest meet she's been to all year (or possibly ever) and I've heard that it's nice (Hershey Hugs and Kisses). All the stellar teams from the area will be there, so our little YMCA team isn't likely to go home with many medals, but Kathy has already qualified for sectionals so the pressure is off, and hopefully she'll just get out there and do her best and have fun! However...

The way they've divided up the sessions is unfortunate. I'm sure they just figured out how many kids were in each age group and then split them up so that there's about the same number of girls in each session, but the result is that some level 4's are at 8, a mixture of level 4's and level 5's are at 12:30, and then the rest of the level 5's are at 4:30. And it's not even that... for example... all the older 4's and younger 5's are together, or anything like that. Kathy's meet is going to be Level 4: 8 sr and 11 and up, and Level 5: 8 and under, 10 jr, and 12 and up. So basically she's competing with 2 level 4 teammates and 2 other level 5 teammates (so only two of her seven level 5 teammates are in the same meet as her). The level 5 team awards aren't going to be until the end of the following session. For Kathy, one of the best parts of competing is getting to spend the day hanging out with her friends and going out after the meet, and that's not going to happen this time. I know that I have no control over any of this and just need to "go with the flow." Just complaining is all.:rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me gripe!

That does sound like a bit of a mess!! Hopefully it will be a fun day anyway. Good luck to your little "Y" team! You never know...they might surprise you! By the way I love your avatar pic. That's an awesome split jump on beam!!
We have a very non-fun meet coming up in 2 weeks. It is a huge meet and there are only 3 age divisions with like 30-40 in each group. The judging is known to be, as I like to call it, "unfriendly". Not going to be a good day for my daughter, who is pretty consistently placing middle of the pack in groups of 15 or so. I hate when they come away from a meet with nothing! Bleh!
Sorry to hijack, hope yours turns out to be better than expected!!!!

We've had a few of those meets and it's tough when they are split up. They did that the first meet that DD was in. I remember that we ended up going for a long lunch after she competed and coming back to watch the older 4's. We only did that because it was the first meet. The 2nd meet that they split the team was 4 hours from home and they competed on a Sunday. We came home much to my daughter's dismay. She wanted to support her teammates. So I feel for ya. Hope all goes well this weekend!

We have been to this meet and is very nice! Good luck to your daughter! Unfortunately the higher up in the levels they go the more common it is for them to be split up (in odd fashion-lol!) at meets. We've been going through this for years since both of my girls are the only one on their teams in their age group. Hope your daughter has lots of fun :)

By the way I love your avatar pic. That's an awesome split jump on beam!!

I think there was a camera angle thing going on there. I don't think she was quite as high off the beam as she looks. When she saw that picture, she asked "Wow... did I land that?" I said that yes, she did (not mentioning that she fell off on her cartwheel about 10 seconds later) and she said, "Wow! I'm good!" :D

Good luck to your DD at her "unfriendly" meet...

This probably won't be the only meet she'll do where the team is split. Not always the best set up, but if the meet runs smoothly, it may still be a good day. Actualy this is the way states are usually run(obviously without L4s). At states there may be 2 age groups per session(or more) depending on number of girls.

Good luck to your dd at the upcoming meet!

And wow on that split jump on beam! I showed it to my L5 dd and she asked if your daughter is a famous gymnast (based on leap and her photo being on the internet). LOL

Good luck to your dd at the upcoming meet!

And wow on that split jump on beam! I showed it to my L5 dd and she asked if your daughter is a famous gymnast (based on leap and her photo being on the internet). LOL

I'll tell that to Kathy. She'll love it! :) :) :)

Don't worry, my dd was recently at a meet like that where due to age groupings, she was the only one from her team in that session. She was bummed! But, she made friends with girls from another friendly team that she rotated with. She still texts and facebooks with them. They are thrilled to see each other at meets! Hope your situation has a happy ending too!

I've been to that meet before and there were some tough gyms there but the kids had fun. I've been to meets where my two girls, both level 4's, were in different sessions. Big meets like the Hug & Kiss can sometimes result in strange session breakdowns because of the high number of lower level kids attending. USAG has rules about how many gymnasts can be in a session based on the format for the meet. The meet is probably modified traditional which allows a maximum of 72 compulsory gymnasts per session. So unfortunately if they have 80 level 4's registered, they have the break the group up somehow.

OK, I'm jealous you are going to this meet because it is my all time favorite place...HERSHEY! My DD was in a meet in Jan, and in her session there was the Hershey team. Of course they announced the gym name everytime someone was called up to the podium and I was getting hungry! A bunch of us sitting there said that if you go to that gym it should be mandatory you bring bags of kisses to every meet, LOL, an how much we wished we could go to a meet there. can't wait to hear all about it. Hope your DD has a great time in spite of the funky session/levels/ages problem. Go visit chocolate world for me!

My girls are in a meet tomorow and its all messed up as well! there are only 2 level 4 groups competeing in that session
and others are in 2 diff sessions mixed with lever 5 and such!

OK, I'm jealous you are going to this meet because it is my all time favorite place...HERSHEY! My DD was in a meet in Jan, and in her session there was the Hershey team. Of course they announced the gym name everytime someone was called up to the podium and I was getting hungry! A bunch of us sitting there said that if you go to that gym it should be mandatory you bring bags of kisses to every meet, LOL, an how much we wished we could go to a meet there. can't wait to hear all about it. Hope your DD has a great time in spite of the funky session/levels/ages problem. Go visit chocolate world for me!

Next weekend Kathy has another meet in Lebanon (near Hershey) on her (and her twin sister's) 10th birthday. So they're both bringing friends to the meet and we're staying over at the Hershey Lodge the night after... swimming in the pool for the kids, chocolate martinis for the moms (a gymnastics mom friend and her two girls are staying over with us as well). We plan to go to the Chocolate Museum the next day. So while we may not get to do anything "Hershey-ish" this weekend, other than the meet itself, we'll be sure to enjoy it next weekend!

Next weekend Kathy has another meet in Lebanon (near Hershey) on her (and her twin sister's) 10th birthday. So they're both bringing friends to the meet and we're staying over at the Hershey Lodge the night after... swimming in the pool for the kids, chocolate martinis for the moms (a gymnastics mom friend and her two girls are staying over with us as well). We plan to go to the Chocolate Museum the next day. So while we may not get to do anything "Hershey-ish" this weekend, other than the meet itself, we'll be sure to enjoy it next weekend!

I've wanted to do that ever since I read about but since we only lived an hour away from Hershey, Hubby wouldn't let me. You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back