Parents Meeting with the HC today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

At our gym we have a meeting each year after competition season with the gymnast, the parent and one (or both) of the head coaches. We talk about the gymnast's goals for next year (level they want to compete, skills they want to work on, etc) and insights the coach might have on the season in general and the gymnast.

They think Beth has had a great year--having to work back from an injury and still keeping at it without giving up (I agree with them!). They agree 100% with Beth's goal of level 9 next year and thing level 10 the year after (Beth's goal) is also doable--as is her desire to compete college gymnastics (at least that's her desire right now). The skills Beth listed though are ones she's doing now--but the coach said this summer they'll have her working level 10 skills, so that competing as a 9 next season will be easy (in terms of skills).

Next season they'll be doing two travel meets--probably Chicago again and maybe one in Floriday (some airflight one anyway). Plus they are probably going to take the 9s on the coach/gymnast only meet they have been doing with the 10s (next year we'll only have 3 level 10s, so they don't think it's fair to take all the coaches on a meet with only 3 gymnasts--this meet the gymnasts travel just with the coaches to.

And there will be 7 level 9s next year--and it's a very good group of girls (they get along well with each other--are within 2 yrs in age of each other--plus I like all the parents too!), so the season looks like it will be fun!

It was a good meeting--like hearing that the coach does have good insight in to what makes Beth tick :) and Beth likes hearing that her coaches think she's doing well (she doesn't believe me when I tell her they think that LOL!)

Great to hear a functional system of feedback. Have they always done that, or only from a certain age or level??
And good news all around for Beth too.

I LOVE that you have meetings like that (jealous!:eek:) and wow it sounds like the plan is one that is agreed upon by everyone. Sounds like it is going to be a great year for her. Very cool!

I wish we would have some sort of feedback we did get a letter from the my daughters main coach this year which is new so maybe at the end of the season.

I wish we had that kind of feedback, too. Our gym is new and they are very open to suggestions, so maybe I will suggest that. I think the biggest problem with coaches, gymnasts, and parents is lack of communication. I am interested to know, too, if they do this kind of conference with all the levels or just the upper levels? Glad you got a good report on your daughter!:)

THat is all great news, love that they care so much about her future plans and goals and also have a plan to help her get there.

I think it's awesome to have a conference like that! Did you request it or is it something that is done for all gymnasts at that level at your gym? :)

How nice to have a meeting like that. I am jealous. Congrats on moving to L9, it sounds like she is right on track to have a great year. :)

Great to hear a functional system of feedback. Have they always done that, or only from a certain age or level??
And good news all around for Beth too.

They've done it for several years now--always at the Optional level and since Beth was a level 5 at Compulsories. I absolutely LOVE the feedback--hated it when Sami was a level 5 and had no idea what their thoughts were on how she was doing.

I LOVE that you have meetings like that (jealous!:eek:) and wow it sounds like the plan is one that is agreed upon by everyone. Sounds like it is going to be a great year for her. Very cool!

Me too!!! I really wish we had a conference like this each year. I never seem to know what's going on!

I'm glad to hear that your conference went well and that Beth's goals were so well received.

Feedback sounds awesome! I wish we had that. Though I have to say HC did talk to me about Abby moving up and it was a good conversation and she said that I can always ask how things are going.

Hope her foot heals fully and that she can have a great level 9 season next year.

I like the feedback meetings too. I'm not one who likes to be in the dark. Unfortunately, due to the small coaching staff, our gym does not do that on a regular basis and it's usually done based on requests of the parents.

We have those meetings too! They start after the last girl is done competing. We have a L10 that is going to Nationals.. so it will be a couple weeks yet.

I already know what Beetle's coach is going to say since he has already pulled me aside a few times. But it will be nice for Beetle to hear what he has to say.

Kudos to Beth on making the most of her season with an injury!

We have those meetings too! They start after the last girl is done competing. We have a L10 that is going to Nationals.. so it will be a couple weeks yet.

I already know what Beetle's coach is going to say since he has already pulled me aside a few times. But it will be nice for Beetle to hear what he has to say.

Kudos to Beth on making the most of her season with an injury!

Yeah, I was surprised they had the meetings already too--we have two girls going to Nationals, so I figured they'd wait until after. Who knows!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back