WAG Meets 101

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Orangesoda

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Could someone point me in the direction of some reading on how meets work? How many teams attend? Scoring? Etc? How is scoring done when different teams have different numbers of participants? I know nothing and have tried searching the site, but the search terms I'm using are so broad that I'm not getting the results I want. Any direction is appreciated.

Reactions: sce
The only advice I can give after our first competitive season last year is don't even try to figure it out. It'll drive you crazy!!! Just sit back and enjoy the meets and let the coaches deal with the scoring. At the compulsory levels the scores really won't mean much to us parents and they won't mean much about your DD's future in the sport but it is feedback for the coaches who are able to pick out all the little details that parents just don't know about and aren't trained to see.

There is some info on USAG: Link Removed

Googled and found this: Link Removed

Just relax and have fun. Make sure you have water and snacks. Otherwise, just don't stress too much. It will be fun!

Could someone point me in the direction of some reading on how meets work? How many teams attend? Scoring? Etc? How is scoring done when different teams have different numbers of participants? I know nothing and have tried searching the site, but the search terms I'm using are so broad that I'm not getting the results I want. Any direction is appreciated.

How many teams attend? Depends on the meet. The smallest I've seen is 4-5. The largest we've been to has over 20 with multiple sessions of approximately 100 girls each per level

Scoring for teams usually takes the top three or four scores, depending on the meet size, on each event. They do not have to be all from the same gymnast. So For instance dd is a strong vaulter and her vault score was included in the team scoring every meet last year. Beam and floor were often included. Bars only a couple of times. It is usually broken down by level as well. Although to have seen it complusary and optional lumped together.

Hope that helps.

I read somewhere (here?? probably...) that a limited number of girls is allowed in each session. 60 or 70 I think, that's what I saw (also our 1st comp season), so there were about 6-8 teams in each session (maybe more). 3 best scores on each apparatus count, so you need at least 3 gymnasts (same level) to have a team.Of course, the more gymnasts, the better chance to place as a team, as you can leave all the weaker scores out.
The gymnasts are split into age groups for awards purposes, and they compete against each other within their session. Sometimes (big meets) there are more sessions for certain level.

Numbers from Mymeetscores (one of 'our' meets)
64 gymnasts in 'our' session
8 teams
one of these teams had only 3 gymnasts, while the largest team had 17
At this particular meet, there were 184 L3 gymnasts, so they were split into 3 sessions.

Hope it helps.

It's so much easier to learn from experience than having people try to explain. Not only are there different meet sizes, groups, age divisions, etc but they can be run differently: warm ups, flights, awards, etc.

You'll also learn more if you work a meet..... if your gym hosts one.

Orange -

Where to begin? As others have said, there are a lot of different types of meets. Let me see if I can break it down. While a meet may span a couple of days, you only need to concern yourself with a session within a meet. So focus on a session. Within a session, there can be a single level or multiple levels. Only gymnasts of the same level compete against each other. The level(s) within a session are further divided into age divisions. Only girls in the same age division compete against each other.

A single session is restricted to a maximum number of athletes; the number depends on the style of the meet and the levels in the session. Suffice to say that a session will be approx 4 hours and it will be full. All 4 events will be going on at the same time. Normally, teams are not split up on different events, but if the team is large it may be split.

All compulsory events are judged against the requirements, not one girl against another. All scores start at 10 for compulsory. Depending on the meet, scores will either be flashed at the event or on a central scoreboard.

Parents are not allowed into the competion area and there is a strict rule against flash photography.

This is just a little bit and optionals are more complicated as well as the different styles of meets.

Good Luck.

The best way to learn is to go!!! Once you have a general idea of how things work, it will be easier for you to ask about specific things that you might not understand. And yes, there will be many things that you won't understand at the beginning...and even after a few years. And once you get everything figured out, your DD will move to optionals, and there will be a whole new set of questions :)

I know your DD isn't competing yet, but you should totally go watch your gym at a meet! You will get an idea of how things work, and it will probably be the first and last stress free meet you attend!

Looks like the updated version with the new levels (new level 3= old level 4, etc.) isn't out yet, but hey, for $1.75 plus shipping, you can't beat it...

Link Removed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back