Mental Block and Frustration

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RisingGymnast

Coach
Gymnast
I know mental blocks are really common in gymnastics and there have been so many posts made but right now I'm so lost and frustrated that I really just need some help.

I'm 15 years old and I've been doing gymnastics for about a year and 3 months. I'd really like to be an Xcel Platinum next year but first I need my kip, back handspring, back tuck, a series on beam. The tumbling is where I know I struggle the most. Previously, I did gymnastics at other gyms and I've worked on my back handspring for a while now.

I've done a bhs on trampoline without a spot before, but after that practice, I would go back to needing a spot. Yesterday I worked on roundoff,stop, bhs with my coach and we were really getting somewhere. I was so excited to come back today and possibly get it connected. The problem is, she wasn't coaching floor today. A new coach was. Now, I've had problems with trust before. This time, I don't think it was trust. I really like her. She's been teaching me new things and she's really supportive. At first, I was throwing them with her spotting me (we were on Tumble Track) but it would take me a while to do so. I would put my arms up, put them back down, shake my hands, do everything to try to focus and just do it. Then, the last two that I did were horrific. I started twisting more and more until I got really scared. After, I would get up to go again, and stand there for at least 3 minutes. I could not get myself to go backwards. She had to call my coach over to double spot me. My other coach would count 1,2,3 like always, and I threw it perfectly. Now, I still don't know if this is about trust. I think its about having one spot. I always turn to the side of my spot. When I had to spots for front tucks off beam, I would throw my arms out to catch them instead of my legs. I had to tell them not to spot me because I would tuck my arms instead of grabbing them. It worked. So, I have a feeling that I was afraid I was going to turn to her instead of going backwards.

I just don't know how to get out of my head and its really getting me upset. I've basically had this mental block since I've started gymnastics. I need to learn how to let go and throw things because I only have 3 more years left. I know its something only I can fix, but at the same time I don't know how to fix it.

So my questions would be:
Is it normal to be afraid of having a spot? (I don't know how to word that any other way)
How in the world do I get out of my head?
Is this something that comes with time? (Because I don't have much of it...)

Thank you to anyone who gives some sort of input on this. I really appreciate it.

For starters, aim to jump straight back on to your arms, then snap straight down. I believe you can do it, now you have to! Good luck, and I'll send back handspring fairies your way! - DreamerGymnast :D

For starters, aim to jump straight back on to your arms, then snap straight down. I believe you can do it, now you have to! Good luck, and I'll send back handspring fairies your way! - DreamerGymnast :D

Thank you for your advice! You're right, I do have to believe in myself.

You're welcome! By the way, do you use octagon spotters? That way, you can't turn to the side of'the coach because there isn't one, but the octagon spots you. Good luck :slaphappy:

You're welcome! By the way, do you use octagon spotters? That way, you can't turn to the side of'the coach because there isn't one, but the octagon spots you. Good luck :slaphappy:
I've tried using it before but I think I'm too tall! I don't need a heavy spot..I barely need a spot at all but I can't get myself to go backwards by myself.

Can you do fast back limbers ( where you do a back bend and immediately spring over with both legs, but you don't jump onto your hands.) Then, jump before your feet hit the ground, then do your fast back limber. When you can jump in to it,congratulations, you have your back handspring. Good Luck ! :goodvibes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back