mental block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast97

someone help! i can do a backhandspring on the beam, and an areil! buuuut i cant do a backwalkover. i freak! someone help me, without the advice " just tell urself u can do it..." because that doesnt work.

someone help! i can do a backhandspring on the beam, and an areil! buuuut i cant do a backwalkover. i freak! someone help me, without the advice " just tell urself u can do it..." because that doesnt work.

I have the same problems with backwalk overs too. I'm just in level 5 though. I really want my b.w.o. (backwalk over )same thing with my back tuck :(

well, i wouold just try and think about why you are so scared. if you are afraid you are going to miss your hands, just think; in a backhandspring you cant see where you put your hands. but in a bwo you are going so slow, you can see exactly where your hands are going, and exactly where your feet will land. after realizing that, it will make you less afraid.

No worries! i am more afrais of walkovers than handsprings tho i do both. you just have to take it slow. dont think about doing it. just let your body go naturally. also think about this. i have missed hands in a handpsring but NEVER in a backwalkover.

also, in a backhandspring, you are jumping and coming down onto the beam from the air. for a bwo, you always have some part of your body on the beam! and you are less likely for your hands to slip because you are not jumping on them. try counting 1...2..3 and GO! believe in yourself!;)

Try using prgressions to get your confidence back. 10 b.w.o on low beam, 10 on medium beam, 10 on high beam with mats, then high beam no mats. Or start on the high beam with lots of 8 in mats under and one at a time work your way down to no mats. Goodluck!

gymnast97,
When you begin your backwalkover with your arms straight and by your ears, tell yourself, "The beam is straight behind you! It is NOT going to move." Go straight backwards and KNOW that the beam will be there. Keep your hands close together. Kick off your leg as soon as you grab the beam with your hands. Don't wait even one second longer. Always remember that the first part of any element is the MOST important phase. Start straight. Go backwards straight. The beam will be there. I hope this helps. I've shared this with many girls who were afraid of backwalkovers on beam like you are. They were amazed that my suggestion actually works. Try it. I wish you success. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back