Microphones in the parent's waiting areas?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tumblequeensmom

Proud Parent
Warning: This is soooo bizarre. Tell me what you think. I was at my daughter's HS banquet last night. Another mom and I got to talking about gymnastics. She has a younger daughter that is on one of the teams at one of our local gyms. She told me that they have installed microphones in the parents' waiting area so that they can hear what is discussed while parents are waiting for their kids classes/practices to end. WOW!!! If this had been from anyone else, talking about any other gym, I would have just laughed it off. She was told about them and has actually SEEN the microphones suspended from the ceiling!! Totally crazy and paranoid... that's what I think. BUT...

has anyone else heard of any gym doing this? If this isn't at least illegal, to me it sure seems unethical. What's everyone's opinion?

(For what it's worth, I told her maybe she should check out a different gym, especially since we have so many choices in my area!)

Wow, I don't know what to say except that seems bizarre? Talk about paranoia! Did they tell all the parents it was there? Or did someone else tell this particular parent, on the side, to be aware of them while the other parents are unaware?

I've not heard or seen this at any gyms, but did see a sign at Target the other day saying that for the next several weeks they would be audio-taping conversations throughout the store as a marketing strategy or something. I was a bit put off by it! Very strange

Wow, I don't know what to say except that seems bizarre? Talk about paranoia! Did they tell all the parents it was there? Or did someone else tell this particular parent, on the side, to be aware of them while the other parents are unaware?

Another parent pulled her aside and told her about them, then pointed them out!!

Another parent pulled her aside and told her about them, then pointed them out!!

Hmmm, I would be tempted to go to the owner and nonchalantly say...."oh, by the way, I saw these things hanging in the waiting room, what are they? Air freshners? Sprinklers? I know, crazy me, they look like microphones but that can't be right!"....and see what they say :) lol. I may be wrong but I don't think you can tape people without them being aware, even if it's just a sign, like the previous poster said about target putting one up.

Yikes! I'm so baffled by this. It seems like so many gyms act like they want parents to drop off kids, write checks, and keep quiet. It seems easier to me to just go talk to the parents rather than hide microphones! Yes, find another gym.

lol! how else would anybody believe some of the things that are being said in those lobbies? :)

I know of a gym owner who did that same thing in her lobby. She even admitted to me that she listens in on the parents almost every day. Psycho!!!

tinfoil-1.gif

Jeebus...

I know of a gym owner who did that same thing in her lobby. She even admitted to me that she listens in on the parents almost every day. Psycho!!!

HOLY COW!!! You mean there's more than one pscho gym owner out there???!!! I am still in shock that ONE gym would actually do this!!!

Big brother is watching...I mean listening! LOL! At my job (doctors office) there are camera's installed all over the office which I understand a camera or two to an extent, but in our kitchen too? I think at that point it is invasion of privacy. With the microphones in the gym though, what reason could you possibly give the parents as to why their conversations can be monitored? WEIRD!

I had a chance to tour the super secret securtity areas of a local hostpial. After that I never assume that public areas are private. Some of the cameras were visable, some hidden to look like smoke dectors. There were all there to protect the patients and families but it was eye opening.

At our old gym, the owner actually mentioned to us team parents that she had her family sitting in the parents area "spying" on parents. It was a very small area so you could hear all of the conversations. The mom who left with me and I still joke about that. It was pretty ridiculous and pretty -I can't even think of a word for it - of the gym owner.

I personally think its weird. But I guess from a business stand point you're just getting an honest representation of your customers, like secret shoppers or other things. However I'm a big proponent of gym being a big community not a giant business so if you're a good owner your members should feel comfortable coming to you with anything, good or bad, and you should have a good read on the general gym mood anyway.

I think if you had any guts you would go up and sit in the parents area and ask 'are there anythings which we could do better and you would like to discuss' Much better to get it out in the open.

Our viewing area isn't bugged, as far as I know. However, the owners have sneaked up there to eavesdrop. And, now, we have a few special parents who view themselves as secret agents. They tattle (often misquoted, out of context, and never on themselves).

a few special parents who view themselves as secret agents. They tattle (often misquoted, out of context, and never on themselves).

This happened to a group of parents at my gym last year. Someone we didn't know took it upon themselves to eavesdrop and report on our conversation to the owner behind our backs. This person didn't know us or have any context about the conversation they overheard, so they put their own interpretation on it. The whole thing got blown way out of proportion and caused a lot of drama and stress at the time. Thankfully, we were eventually able to put our side of the story and it all settled down again.

But microphones? That's beyond the pale....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back