Coaches Mid-Season Training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A very successful first ever meet in January combined routines that are "easy" and "boring" have left my girls feeling a bit complacent in the gym, especially when it comes to routine work. Of course there are places they can improve, and I've had talks with them about how there is always something they can improve upon and how important it is to do the "easy" skills well. We mix in a ton of progressions to keep them interested and progressing and designate several practices after a meet to "fun" stuff, but it just doesn't seem to be enough for them. The have their 2nd meet coming up in a week and I while I think they will do just fine and are absolutely prepared, I'm afraid their lack of motivation to focus on details will result in lower scores which will be discouraging to them.
I have tried new ways of working skills and routines to keep it fresh and fun- partner work, games, do X number of "thumbs up" routines and you can move to new skills- but any new ideas to keep working on routines and little details would be really helpful!

I make the corrections a game. For instance on beam everyone will show a routine, and can earn points as follows:

Hitting a required split = 1 pt.
Hold handstand = 1 pt
Foot in passe on turn = 1 pt

Team goal: 18 points (Just make sure the team goal is doable!!!)

Do you offer to let them "change out" skills in their routines if they master new skills.

Maybe the incentive to compete a "harder" skills would get them to stay more focused.
A couple kids are pretty maxed out as far as difficulty, but the kids who do have room to grow (adding a ro-bhs on floor, hs instead of lever on beam, etc.) are given that opportunity. The other kids are given a chance to work on other new things with the knowledge it will not likely go in their routine this year (front handsprings on floor, ro-bhs-bhs, cartwheels on beam, full turns). So that's not too much of a problem, it's getting them to focus when we really need to buckle down and work on details.

I make the corrections a game. For instance on beam everyone will show a routine, and can earn points as follows:

Hitting a required split = 1 pt.
Hold handstand = 1 pt
Foot in passe on turn = 1 pt

Team goal: 18 points (Just make sure the team goal is doable!!!)
That's great! I might give that a try. I have a couple really talented kids who are just not detail oriented and a game might just do the trick. Thanks!

Oh I'll also write down three corrections from their routines. Then every day they have 5 of that correction & they show me their 5th one. Once I have OKed it they get time to work uptraining or something else fun :)

"pressure set" games are fun too - our team will occassionally have something like that - if this girl hits this routine then you get a reward of some sort... Also, a team beam or team bars award - if everyone hits their "show" routine then the group gets 5 min of upgrades or whatever you want to work on... Or if the assignment is 5 iar or 8 makes on beam - at some point, she will tell everyone to stop and watch so and so - if they hit that watched routine it counts for a make for everyone or something like that...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back