Parents Missing School For Meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3LittleGymmies

Proud Parent
I am just curious about what other parents opinions are on this. :) Our gym only does one meet that is a 3-day meet and has the "potential" of having our sessions scheduled on a Friday. The rest are all 2-day meets that seem to be more low-key. That being said, we miss out on some good meets with great competition due to this reason and the girls don't really get a lot of traveling experience (which my daughter loves) since most meets are less than an hour away. They have said that this is because "some parents have complained about not wanting their kids to miss school on a Friday". I would obviously never want my child to constantly miss school because of gymnastics, but I really personally wouldn't have an issue with missing 3-4 Fridays in a school year for such a serious sport that she gives 110% at 15 hours/week. Especially if they have great grades and don't miss much for being sick. To me, personally, it's not that big of a deal.. especially considering the fact that many "regular kids" miss school for vacations and such all of the time. Of course, I understand that other parents may not agree and that's perfectly fine. :) But if the meets are optional (which they are and people opt out of some for vacations and all kinds of other factors), they could just choose not to do those meets and allow those who are okay with the chance that their child's session could be on a Friday do it. Just my opinion and I'm curious what everyone else's is. I am assuming that this is something that varies by gym and depends on the gym's philosophy a lot, too.

well, our gym believes in travel, and we do what we can. The girls' optionals are going to Mexico for a meet, so they will miss a week. Our boys will travel out of state 2 times, missing at least 2 days each time, maybe 3.

I'm fine with a missed day for a meet here and there. We missed a Friday in September for my girls to compete in a meet at the beach. We will miss a Friday and maybe a Thursday in February for DS to go to a meet in NC. If he moves up a level, then he will have one more travel meet next year.

At the level my kids are, I wouldn't do a ton of missed days; but here and there I'm fine with it. With the caveat that they have to maintain good grades and they have to do any work missed. We are lucky that at least for this year, they have teachers that are understanding about it.

My kid is in elementary school and I have NO problem with her missing a day here and there for meets. I let her miss three days for a Florida meet and made a mini vacation out of it.

I take this attitude because the superintendent feels the same way. I spoke with her about getting meet absences excused and she said "it's just 4th grade. Don't sweat it." So I don't.

I obviously prefer for them not to miss, but occasionally I am not going to get worked up over. But sometimes it seems the stars align right for a certain level and they have the majority of their meets on a Friday morning or something crazy like that. Our gyms level 8's last year missed 6 Fridays due to meets - 8 am start for every single one. I am hoping that it won't be like that for this years level 8s!

In our gym our girls miss 1/2 days every Friday. We start at 12:30 on Fridays and 2:30 on Mon-Tues-Thursday. Luckily my dd is in a sports school and her classes end at 12:15 daily. But even before she went there she would miss every Friday.
When I first started gymnastics I was appalled but then I realized that is how they do it in Canada. Most gyms I know miss Friday afternoons.
When she was in regular school - I met the teachers at the beginning of the year and said she can't do homework on these days and misses 1/2 Friday. Luckily my daughter is a pretty good student she still kept up her marks. Any homework she had was never due the next day, she always had the weekend to do it. Very accommodating which was fantastic.
Even in her sports school - if she misses classes there are many ways of making it up. Very accommodating there as well.
I am sure it will be no problem...

Well, DD misses the equivalent to a day of school per week just to train.

Her competitions are always Fridays this year as that is when they schedule her group, but she misses 1/2 of Fridays anyways. At least two of her meets she'll miss Thursday and Friday.

I guess I'm over it. When I say it, I almost sound negligent, but we are totally able to make it work. She has complete buy in from the school, and uses her free time there to catch up on things she misses. We do homework on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

If your daughter doesn't miss much school to begin with, it should be fine.

We do bigger meets with the potential to miss Fridays. I haven't figured out what to tell school though. Especially if I have to take my other 2 kids with me.

As long as it's occasional, I generally don't worry about it either. Not sure what level you are, but it seems more common for optionals to compete on Fridays (we had one at old L6). Note that a lot of public schools won't excuse an absence, so be prepared to have a 'sudden sickness and recovery' or unexcused absence (which is no different than taking a vacation day on a school day).

my4buffaloes - oh my! That's a lot of Fridays -- hoping we don't get close to that number.

This will be DD's first season in optionals so we know there is more potential missed days coming than when she was in compulsories. The optionals travel farther and have scheduled competing at meets that will have Friday meet times. DD's group is even going to one that will have possible Thursday meet times (eek!). Husband is not thrilled but she's a good student and has an understanding principal and teacher.

Our gym goes to many meets that have the potential of a Friday session - though they do seem to end up being the higher levels. then there are travel meets that require a few missed days.

I admit i found it odd the first year LL did team - but then everything about gymnastics seemed foreign & strange.

Now it doesn't phase me. Yes, it's an illegal absence. But life goes on.

We miss about 4-5 Fridays each season. We are at an fantastic private school that works with us. Good thing since I teacher there as well. All of our meets go Friday/Saturday so there is always the potential to miss a day. We don't worry too much about it.

Our gym goes to many meets that have the potential of a Friday session - though they do seem to end up being the higher levels. then there are travel meets that require a few missed days.

I admit i found it odd the first year LL did team - but then everything about gymnastics seemed foreign & strange.

Now it doesn't phase me. Yes, it's an illegal absence. But life goes on.

not "illegal". you mean not approved or in violation of school policy.:)

But... is it illegal? Because they do threaten to have social services give you a visit if your child has more than X number of unexcused absences.

I know for me, I have gotten the treat of a social services visit for my kids missing too many days. It was a combo of us taking a trip that took them out during the school week, a competition for DS and then some spring illnesses. There is a limit to how many absences they can have, even excused; but if you hit that limit and some of them aren't excused then they get in a tizzy.

I used to worry about it. I talked to my mom about it, she is a retired school administrator. Her response was, "OK. Let social services come and check on you. They can walk into your (relatively) clean house. Talk to your intelligent kids. Find out about their good grades. Ask about why they aren't in school. 'Oh, you got flu this year? Had you gotten a flu vaccine? oh, your mom HAD gotten that, way back in the fall? Oh. Oh, and you took a trip to Yellowstone during the week of early releases? I see. Oh, and you went as a family to support your brother at a gymnastics competition in SC? OK."

She said they would admonish me to be better about having them in school; but that is it.

Though technically, according to our school system's handbook, they can fine us something like $100 (or more) per day per student for unexcused absences. Which means it would be a minimum of $300 per day for me. I asked our principal about it and she told me not to worry about it.

But... is it illegal? Because they do threaten to have social services give you a visit if your child has more than X number of unexcused absences. ....She said they would admonish me to be better about having them in school; but that is it.....Though technically, according to our school system's handbook, they can fine us something like $100 (or more) per day per student for unexcused absences. Which means it would be a minimum of $300 per day for me. I asked our principal about it and she told me not to worry about it.
And this is one of many, many reasons I homeschool. Fine a parent for an unexcused absence?! Aren't you doing the teacher a favor by having one less child in the class that day? They should be paying you! LOL OK, I know... That's not the point but I just couldn't resist. And I completely understand that these policies are in place for the families who routinely don't send their kids to school but a little common sense is in order here, as well as in many of the zero-tolerance policies happening.

In our area, elementary school isn't too hard for parents but once they get to middle school, the teachers are required to fail the child if they exceed a certain number of absences within a marking period, regardless of how many total absences throughout the year. This includes excused and unexcused (including illness).

Though technically, according to our school system's handbook, they can fine us something like $100 (or more) per day per student for unexcused absences. Which means it would be a minimum of $300 per day for me. I asked our principal about it and she told me not to worry about it.

^^^^^^^
THAT seems illegal! Can they really do that??

We usually have 1 or 2 big travel meets that require air transportation and hotels and my DD might miss 1 or 2 days of school for. Once or twice a year is ok but that is about it. School comes before any extra curricular activity. With that said our gym doesn't do many meets more than and hour and a half away (something you could drive to ) more due to the added expense of something you need transportation costs and hotels, meals etc for. More than 1 or 2 and the parent just won't go to even if its "required". It just becomes too expensive for Just gymnastic meets.

But... is it illegal? Because they do threaten to have social services give you a visit if your child has more than X number of unexcused absences.

I know for me, I have gotten the treat of a social services visit for my kids missing too many days. It was a combo of us taking a trip that took them out during the school week, a competition for DS and then some spring illnesses. There is a limit to how many absences they can have, even excused; but if you hit that limit and some of them aren't excused then they get in a tizzy.

I used to worry about it. I talked to my mom about it, she is a retired school administrator. Her response was, "OK. Let social services come and check on you. They can walk into your (relatively) clean house. Talk to your intelligent kids. Find out about their good grades. Ask about why they aren't in school. 'Oh, you got flu this year? Had you gotten a flu vaccine? oh, your mom HAD gotten that, way back in the fall? Oh. Oh, and you took a trip to Yellowstone during the week of early releases? I see. Oh, and you went as a family to support your brother at a gymnastics competition in SC? OK."

She said they would admonish me to be better about having them in school; but that is it.

Wow, does this make me fume! I'd be willing to bet your kids are honor role students too. As long as kids get decent grades, it should be illegal for the school to harass you about their attendance. Seriously. Junk like this is one of many reasons why my kids will be homeschooled or in private school. I feel badly for the many parents who simply don't have that choice.

I would let DD miss school for a meet. Traveling to a new city is a far more valuable experience than a day or two in the classroom. When my DD is grown she will likely always remember the trips we took, and the memories created in the process.

Wow, does this make me fume! I'd be willing to bet your kids are honor role students too. As long as kids get decent grades, it should be illegal for the school to harass you about their attendance. Seriously. Junk like this is one of many reasons why my kids will be homeschooled or in private school. I feel badly for the many parents who simply don't have that choice.

I would let DD miss school for a meet. Traveling to a new city is a far more valuable experience than a day or two in the classroom. When my DD is grown she will likely always remember the trips we took, and the memories created in the process.

its the law that kids attend school for a minimum number of days That's why if you get snow days or bad weather days they add on at the end of they year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back