Parents Mixed bag of feedback? Thoughts please!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Busymum

Proud Parent
My Dd ( 6 years old) and her team of around 8 girls have just finished a 3 week trial of longer sessions (3 hours) as part of the teams development squad. Until 3 weeks ago they had been doing just 1 hour a week as a pre development, invite only class. Some are still in this class as he didn't move them all up.

After practice Friday afternoon, coach came over to the mums and said they'd had an amazing practice and accomplished lots and gave us all official team packs and kit lists of things to buy. (Bar bags and equipment) He then said he was excited as they were a great group of girls who worked well together and made a strong little squad.

At this point I was one proud mommy! Then he added that my DD was struggling with natural coordination and had some 'interesting moments' but that she'd also had moments of pure gold that outweighed them but that he wasn't sure yet how far she would be able to go .....

This has made me feel bad as I now feel my DD must be the weakest of the group and not knowing how far she'll go may mean they pull the plug on her team gymnastics anytime? She would be devastated - and so would I as I love watching her love something so so much. She works so hard. He even said some of the issue might be that she's overthinking it through trying so hard.

Just hoping this extra boost of natural coordination kicks in/develops with more practice? But then if the others don't have that problem maybe it won't? Coach did pick her for development from our rec program and has worked 1 hour a week with her for 4 months before putting her hours up and placing her in development..... So he must see some potential right??

Sorry that turned in to quite a ramble ..... just feeling a little sad I guess ...

It depends on the club, some high performance clubs can be ruthless and will cut under-performing gymnasts from squad, but they should let you know if there is a problem before then

She is 6, lots of growing up to do

This is true. Plus she is one of those kids that can take a while to get the hang of something but once it clicks she flys with it. She's like this at school too. Hard worker and determined little lady though- she doesn't give up!

Totally this, congrats on her getting placed with the team. Also, it's often the most hard working gymnast that sticks with it and makes it really far.

Even one not as naturally coordinated as the others? I think it's the 'I don't know how far she'll get' comment that worried me. It would be awful if despite working hard they remove her. She LOVES it and gets so excited for gym days! No way she would be happy going back to rec!

Even one not as naturally coordinated as the others? I think it's the 'I don't know how far she'll get' comment that worried me. It would be awful if despite working hard they remove her. She LOVES it and gets so excited for gym days! No way she would be happy going back to rec!

My older DD (11 yo) has never been the top of her group; but she has always been dedicated and loved the sport. Off the top of my head I can think of 9 girls who have been in various groups with her who were at or near "the top" and they have quit. My DD just keeps plugging away and is still in the sport and loving it.

My older DD (11 yo) has never been the top of her group; but she has always been dedicated and loved the sport. Off the top of my head I can think of 9 girls who have been in various groups with her who were at or near "the top" and they have quit. My DD just keeps plugging away and is still in the sport and loving it.

This makes me feel better! And well done to your daughter! That's excellent!

At the first gym where my DD was on team the coach for the next level said she wasn't going to take my DD. DD's coaches at the time argued for DD to move up, saying that she had the skills for the next level. The coach still said no. I decided to move her. The HC did ask me to reconsider and said DD would move up; but by then I knew that coach didn't want to work with DD and I wasn't having her with a coach who didn't want her. I'm so glad I did. Like I said, she isn't ever at the top of her group; but the coaches always say that she is one of the hardest workers. Every year she gets better and so far she has never even considered quitting.

At the first gym where my DD was on team the coach for the next level said she wasn't going to take my DD. DD's coaches at the time argued for DD to move up, saying that she had the skills for the next level. The coach still said no. I decided to move her. The HC did ask me to reconsider and said DD would move up; but by then I knew that coach didn't want to work with DD and I wasn't having her with a coach who didn't want her. I'm so glad I did. Like I said, she isn't ever at the top of her group; but the coaches always say that she is one of the hardest workers. Every year she gets better and so far she has never even considered quitting.

I love a happy ending! Having said that, we don't have many gyms that I know of found here so I hope it doesn't come to that!

I had some feedback from one of DDs preteam coaches where he stated she might not be able to do certain things and might be held back because of her inflexible shoulders. I know now it was just an off handed comment, but at the time I was really worried. I fretted over that like you wouldn't believe, mostly that DD was wasting her time ( and I was wasting money) when she could be doing something else. As with most of our gymmies, she is very athletic and could do well at other sports or dance. But she wanted gymnastics. She just turned 9 and is entering her first Level 6 season soon. She did well at Level 4 last year, including a state championship in her 8 year old age group. Don't let an offhanded comment by a coach upset you too much. He wouldn't be bothered talking to you about her if he didn't see something noteworthy in her.

My DD is by far the weakest and least flexible in her group of 7. She bombs the strength test every week and her coach has her in weights far more than the rest.

The good news is, like your DD, she is hard working. She doesn't give up and she is catching up. She has only been doing gymnastics for less than two years, and is catching up to the others who have all been there for years and years. It bothered her that she's the weakest, but it just makes her work harder.

You will also notice and increase in her strength with the increased hours.

I had some feedback from one of DDs preteam coaches where he stated she might not be able to do certain things and might be held back because of her inflexible shoulders. I know now it was just an off handed comment, but at the time I was really worried. I fretted over that like you wouldn't believe, mostly that DD was wasting her time ( and I was wasting money) when she could be doing something else. As with most of our gymmies, she is very athletic and could do well at other sports or dance. But she wanted gymnastics. She just turned 9 and is entering her first Level 6 season soon. She did well at Level 4 last year, including a state championship in her 8 year old age group. Don't let an offhanded comment by a coach upset you too much. He wouldn't be bothered talking to you about her if he didn't see something noteworthy in her.

That's a lovely story. Thank you! And well done to your DD!!

Our gym owner has been known to say that he'd rather have a hard-working gymnast that has to fight for things over the gymnast that everything comes easy to. He knows that hard-working gymnast will be able to weather the tough times....because there WILL be tough times for EVERY gymnast at some point. Whereas sometimes the ones that everything comes easy to just don't know how to handle it when they finally hit that wall.

I would try not to worry about it. It's possible it's not an "off the team" kind of thing but he might just be giving you a heads up that she may take longer in this level than the rest of the group so you aren't surprised if she doesn't move up or something.

I read something fantastic the other day. A man and her daughter were out jogging. After some time it was getting tougher and the daughter asked her dad to remind her why they were doing this. He said, "We're practising not quitting."

As for "not being the most co-ordinated", Lauren Mitchell, an Australian gymnast who has been world champion on floor, has said this of herself, ""Nikolai [her coach] has told me I'm not naturally co-ordinated for a gymnast so I have to work harder to learn a new skill."

Don't let your daughter's coach's pronouncement limit your daughter - if anything, let it inspire you and her on to even better things.

We might have similar DDs. Much to her coach's chagrin, DD lacks "body awareness." She has made a similar comment and I wonder if it's meant in a similar way...basically that DD can have a long and fun gymnastics "career" with the team, but (I can't remember her wording) basically don't expect her to rocket through the levels or do college gymnastics or anything. (She's also not got the "quick twitch.")

It didn't mean they were going to cut her or discount her. In fact, I think they like having hard workers on the team, to set an example.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back