Parents Mom at gym is former coach/gymnast-help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 3yr old daughter has a rec class once a week for 50 minutes. A little boy just joined last week and with him came his mother who, as the title says, is a former coach and gymnast. She has taken quite the interest in my daughter. Last week she told me she was going to be a star, the bravest kid she's ever seen, the most talented, blah blah. Now mind you, DD enjoys her class, but its really just for fun right now. To be honest, I don't really think you can really have skill level at three and am not sure how any of that works anyways! Well, last night during class, the kids were walking there legs up the wall to hang in a line upside down for bar (if that even makes sense! clueless here), and DD just kicks her legs up so they were around the bar and her waist was at the bar. This mom smacks me out of excitement and says, 'THAT'S A PULLOVER! GET A PICTURE!'. I was just like, yeah she wants a bar, she likes it alot. Then she just keeps talking about my DD for the remaining time.

I just wanted to know, is this normal at such a young age? (her son is also 3) And how do I put this lady down nicely? There is no way to avoid her, because there is a small ledge for the preschool parents to sit. This week I tried bringing a book with me to pretend to read, but that didn't work! I don't want her to think I'm rude, but I also want to enjoy watching my daughter without all of her comments! Any suggestions? This is really the best class time for our schedule.

i would smile & say thank you. if she persists & is making you uncomfortable I would say 'she is only 3, she is having fun, she could hate ot next week. I'm sure the coach will let us know if she is too advanced for this class. for now I just enjoy watching her have fun'

by the way' welcome to CB & good luck with your new 'friend'

Sometimes former gymnasts and coaches are over anxious to find the hidden star.....
they foget everyone does not live and breathe this sport....LOL

I agree wit the above post. Nicley tell her thanks but we are just doing this for fun she is after all only 3.

Maybe headphones work better than a book......

You've already gotten great advice, so I will just take this post to welcome you to the Chalk Bucket!

Yes, great advice all ready. It does make it tough that she is only three-you can't leave her there alone during class. Headphones might work. Your dd is a cutie, btw (from your avatar pic) Welcome to the CB, and good luck with your dd's gym journey :)

There is nothing to really add that hasnt been said already. Just be a nice as you can, and try to "ignore" the most of it. I agree..headphones might be your friend. And welcome to the CB

former gymnasts with children are always enthusiastic! :)

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and also the advice. I didn't even think of headphones! Definately my plan for next week!

If you want you can bring a folding chair and set it up apart from the bleachers. Some moms do that at our gym, but I think mostly for comfort while they work. But it does offer some separation.

Why don't you take her aside and tell her you don't know why but you feel embarrassed when she calls attention to your daughter, and if she sees anything you need to know, could she tell you privately? I think she's just trying to be social during class, so that might bring the volume of comments way down.

I agree, I think she's just trying to be social- and loves talking about gymnastics being a former coach and gymnast. I think there are nice ways you can give her the message that you are a proud mom, but not interested in having your daughter's accomplishments and skills discussed. You could say something along the lines of, "Yeah, she really loves this, doesn't she, I am proud, but really just interested at this point in her burning some energy, that's all." Maybe this mom is lonely, had her kid take this class to make friends with other moms, just loves talking about gymnastics and thought you may too. You never know. Then, put on your headphones and sit elsewhere if you want.

especially at 3! giants by 4?:)

Oh forget that, she will at least be training with olympians by then right?

But seriously, I wouldn't even really consider her 'getting the skill', because she flipped her legs around the bar a few times. She was just playing around and having fun.

We don't really sit in bleachers, it's more like a ledge overlooking the gym.

Its interesting that she doesn't talk much about her own kid although maybe she's not as sure what to look for on the boy's side regarding skills etc.
You've gotten lots of good advice. All I would say, "she's 3 and here to have fun---looks like she's enjoying it" and let it go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back