Parents Momma Brag

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bella's Mom

After spending months watching Bella work and work on her mill circle, I was shocked by how quickly she nailed her front hip circle. Seriously something like three class meetings and now she has it. So bizarre how kids acquire skills at different rates.

So I am proud of her and somewhat relieved to know that it won't take her another 8 months to learn a new skill. :) Of course, soon comes the kip.........

Wow that is crazy. 3 classes! Front hip usually seems to take a LOT longer to learn. Although the mill circle can also be inconsistent for a lot of girls and they seem to do it sometimes but not all the time. My DD has just gotten ahold of her mill circle, but it still very stuck on that front hip. Glad your daughter got it so quickly! Don't worry about the kip yet. Just be nice and content for awhile, LOL. :)

Awesome! I remember the look on my DD's face when she finally got the FHC. Definitely an "a-ha" moment. Now it's on to working on kips which I can see will take a while. Good thing she's doing another year of L4! Bella's on her way now. :)

I glanced up tonight and they had her "hog tied". NOt sure how else to describe it. There was a rope tied around her legs and somehow connected to her waist. After they untied her....bam bam bam..... FHC after FHC. She made a comment about it in the car ride home and said that the rope made it so that if she did it wrong, it pulled or something like that. I never quite got it.

Although the mill circle can also be inconsistent for a lot of girls and they seem to do it sometimes but not all the time. My DD has just gotten ahold of her mill circle, but it still very stuck on that front hip.

The mill circle was painful to watch for so many months with no success. I had pretty much written it off as a skill she would just never get. Now she uses it as a game. Before bed at night she asks me how many mill circles I think she can do in a row. If I say anything less than five (in an attempt to get her to bed faster!), she gets offended and says "mooooooom". I'm happy that she learned how perseverance really will pay off. Great lesson for life.

Congrats to Bella on getting her Front Hip Circle. That is something my daughter is getting frustrated on because she is so close. We do have a 9 year old on our pretream that just got her Front Hip Circle last Saturday and was doing them like crazy and stayed during open gym to practice them some more since she was so happy that she got it. But by Tuesday she couldn't do one. I know it will come right back to her but she seems so sad and determined to get it again. Hoping that it sticks with Bella. I know everyone says skills come and go all the time.

Good stuff! My DD was the same - got FHS almost right away, but still misses the mill circle sometimes.

Way to go! My DD struggled with FHC all through level 4. She almost always pulled it off in the meets, but missed it so often in practice that it made me crazy! This year that's the way it is with her squat-on. Kip was tough, but once she had it, she had it. With the squat-on, though she's only missed it in one meet, I think she misses it in practice more than she sticks it. Makes me crazy! I just keep telling myself, "that was how her front hip cirlce was last year, and now it's a piece of cake!" I should just stop watching the practices! :)

Mine learned her front hip very quickly also Bella's mom, way before she could do her mill circle. She really didn't get consistent on her mill circle until this past January. She was the backwards one in her group with her FHC coming easily and her mill circle taking forever. Honestly I don't think she would have ever gotten her mill circle consistent unless Dunno had told me to tell her to use her thumbs. Heck, she did her first kip before she could really do the mill circle.

DD has a teammate who has her kip, but doesn't have her FHC.

Heck, she did her first kip before she could really do the mill circle.

LOL.....Wow!!! That's pretty amazing! I think her coaches are just now starting to do drills to help them learn how to kip. They will hold her feet/straight,tight legs together as she swings under the bar and then use her feet to push her up to a front support. I assume that is the beginning of kip drills. I think Bella will really struggle with learning how to kip (when will my Bella start kipping????) since my understanding is that it takes coordination and timing. Bella's forte is strength and power, not so good with subtle things like coordination and grace.

I'm not kidding about how long it took to learn mill circle. She got moved to Pre-team in July 2010. She didn't start consistently sticking her mill circle until February 2011. So what...8 months? Torture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go!!! My daughter took awhile to get her FHC - she got it in 4 months then lost it for 2 months and thankfully seems to have it for good now. She's working on L5 bar and working hard to get that squat on without an extra cast from her FHC. She's doing much better on that now. Her kip (LOL) seems forever away. I'm not going to be looking for that to be close for at least 3 more months!

Great job Bella!! I swear I would never have believed that DD could get so far even a year ago. These little gymmies really have a way of surprising us all!! Keep it fun and she will sky rocket!!

After spending months watching Bella work and work on her mill circle, I was shocked by how quickly she nailed her front hip circle. Seriously something like three class meetings and now she has it. So bizarre how kids acquire skills at different rates.

So I am proud of her and somewhat relieved to know that it won't take her another 8 months to learn a new skill. :) Of course, soon comes the kip.........

Congrats and high five to Bella and You! :D

Congratulations to Bella! That's awesome that she learned it so easily! It's my impression that it usually takes quite a while to get that skill.

Congratulations to Bella! That's awesome that she learned it so easily! It's my impression that it usually takes quite a while to get that skill.

It feels like to me that it takes a while to get most skills! LOL. She is just so proud. At her last practice, her coaches called each of the other coaches over so they could see her do it. They really made a big deal of it and made her feel very special. She is on top of the world because she just got moved up to the L4 team and is one of the few girls who has it. She even wrote a story about it for school, complete with illustrations.

She even wrote a story about it for school, complete with illustrations.

My dd did one her writing assignment on gymnastics after her last meet where she had a great beam routine and landed her handstand - she drew picture of herself doing a handstand on the beam with a HUGE smile on her face! I really wish I had kept it.

I swore my daughter was gonna learn her kip before her front hip. I think it took her 1.5 years to learn that skill.

Way to go Bella! I remember that being a hard thing for Alex to get! Even harder than the kip!! All kids are different!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back